Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always held the last 145 QV I had in high regard as it was soooo much fun to drive. Almost as much as the ZX volcane I once had but eminently better looking.
With the cost of petrol spiraling upwards and give the fact that my 3.2 GT has only done 31k miles I decided that it would be of benefit to have a cheap, economical (anything is economical compared with the GT...) runaround that would reduce my fuel costs and allow me to keep the miles off the GT.
After looking at various options, such as a Lancia Prisma, This 1.6l 145 cropped up on fleabay.
I suppose I should admit right now that the wheels may have made it a less considered purchase than other Alfa's I've bought...
The 520 mile round trip to collect it should have stopped me from bidding on it at the very least but I won it anyway...
So my Dad and I traipsed down to Poole to Collect it on Saturday. We arrived back home 13 hours later. - Apparently the sprinter and trailer's length mean that it's speed limit is 56mph, not 60.
On arrival;

Family commitments meant that I couldn't do any with it on sunday but I did spend a few hours exploring tonight after work;

The floorpan looks to be reasonably solid but there are some corrosion issues;

Te wheels look tatty up close and have all been kerbed;

The interior is filthy!

Driver's seat is torn and wasn't mentioned in the ebay ad, nor was the rot TBH...

I'm fairly sure the sunroof is leaking. I've taped it up (I know, I know..) to stop it leaking for now and hopefully give the interior the opportunity to dry out.

And there are various scrapes and scratches, again not mentioned in the advert...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like to see where you go with this Chris :)
To work and back... Honest! Nothing to see here. No 2.0 cams lurking, no thoughts of v6 conversions, no checking of ebay for crash damaged 20vt coupes!

Bogo honest cheap work hack. I'm sick of the GT being dented, having calcium deposits dropped on it and generaly being disrespected in work's car park!

*wanders off to check 145 roll cage prices*

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick rebuild, nothing fancy. The cams look like they may be worn though, need to measure them. If they are then 2.0 cams are going in...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few more pics of the head - I've not been well for the last few days so I've not done anything with it.

The head gasket hadn't failed but it wasn't in the best of condition - The parts of it exposed to the coolant jacket were severly corroded and it was starting to break up.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The head has been soaking and is, after drying off, looking much cleaner;

The corroded head gasket has eaten the head away but I don't think it'll cause any sealing issues. Nontheless it's being sent off for a maximum skim - In the interests of maximising efficiency and therfore fuel ecconomy...

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
What did you soak the head in? It looks nice and clean... :)

You can use kerosene and a stiff toothbrush (or wire brush) to clean off any stubborn stains (not on the cams though, eh? :D) Make sure you don't lose bristles into the oilways (esp. if they fell off the wire brush).. give it a blast of compressed air or a rinse with clean kerosene when you're done, to flush away any minor debris..

Ralf S.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did you soak the head in? It looks nice and clean... :)

You can use kerosene and a stiff toothbrush (or wire brush) to clean off any stubborn stains (not on the cams though, eh? :D) Make sure you don't lose bristles into the oilways (esp. if they fell off the wire brush).. give it a blast of compressed air or a rinse with clean kerosene when you're done, to flush away any minor debris..

Ralf S.
Parts Cleaner in a bath with hot water and left it to soak + a blast from the pressure washer.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the head back from the machine shop today;

It's still showing signs of corrosion but nothing that will compromise the head gasket's seal;

I don't think they could've taken much more off the head... Think I'll use 1.6 cams rather than 2.0 ones.

·
Vendor
45,830 Posts
Whats the reason behind the decision to use 1.6 cams? Less peaky, therefore better economy?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That'll be the one...

Might try it with 2.0 cams and turning it over by hand though.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I'd still measure the clearance and make sure you leave a sensible margin. It might not touch when turning by hand but as soon as you give it some rpm, any last miniscule bit of clearance might suddenly disappear.

You could shove a thicker head gasket in the there, if you want to improve the clearance.. though I don't know where you would get one of those from..

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts