Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know Alfa in their wisdom decided to cover up that lovely sky view roof with head lining. Has anyone sorted this out yet ? I have just come back from a local trimmer and he thinks its very possible to do, he is going to check a few measurements on another car and the give me a price. It always causes a laugh when people see it and then its starts..........the grin and then..........WHY DID THEY DO THAT:cheese: I'm getting tired of it now so hopfully this will put an end to it:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone answered the question of whether the glass is actually clear or not yet??? :cheese:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Should have put a carbon fibre roof on the S, along with some other panels:cool:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The glass roof panel is exactly the same as the other SV models - Do you seriously expect Alfa to go to the trouble of removing the standard glass panel and replacing it with a different one? This is Alfa cost-saving at its silliest!
I've already contacted T.A.Coburn, the expert trimmer near Swindon. He reckons it will be possible to do, and will give me an estimate as soon as I can get it down there.
I don't recommend asking Halfords or Kwik-Fit to do it!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Should have put a carbon fibre roof on the S, along with some other panels:cool:
The glass roof must be stupidly heavy.
Having a big heavy object at the highest point of the car is not great.
Covering the inside of that glass roof and adding even more weight is just adding to the problem.

A nice light carbon roof would have been a good weight saving in the right place, but would have meant redoing the type approval & crash-tests, etc..
A simple metal roof would have been better than covering up the glass roof.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The glass roof panel is exactly the same as the other SV models - Do you seriously expect Alfa to go to the trouble of removing the standard glass panel and replacing it with a different one? This is Alfa cost-saving at its silliest!
I've already contacted T.A.Coburn, the expert trimmer near Swindon. He reckons it will be possible to do, and will give me an estimate as soon as I can get it down there.
I'd be careful, people can be funny when it comes to non-factory modifications no matter how good they are. You'll have to trade it one day and might regret you ever embarked it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'd be careful, people can be funny when it comes to non-factory modifications no matter how good they are. You'll have to trade it one day and might regret you ever embarked it.
I think in this case the mod would be of benefit IMO

·
Registered
30,171 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
The SV is a great thing to have, I reckon a decent mod will do no harm to the value of the car, only good.

Also re a carbon fibre panel, are you mental?! They do need to make a profit you know!

I'd have liked the V8 from the 8C for my £25K but I don't see it happening!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you just planning on having a hole cut in the exsisting headliner to reveal the glass roof, and then having that re-trimmed to neaten it up? If so I'd look at 2 things:

1) Unless you have some sort of sliding cover, like the factory SV roofs do, you will be creating a greenhouse on a sunny day! The couple of times I forgot to close the cover on mine, (during the average 3 days that a UK summer consists of :) ), I returned to what I can only describe as a baking, leather-filled oven... not plesant, hence why I only made the mistake a couple of times!!

2) It may be cheaper and easier to just source, either new or used, a std SV headliner which already has the hole neatly cut and trimmed? Still doesn't solve the cover issue, but I suppose you'd be ok if you park in the shade!

If that's not what you're planning then just ignore me!!! :D

N

·
0 Posts
1) Unless you have some sort of sliding cover, like the factory SV roofs do, you will be creating a greenhouse on a sunny day! The couple of times I forgot to close the cover on mine,
I can't even bear to have mine open in the height of summer.... :eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
No i don't expect them to replace the glass but as my business is in glass i would be very surprised if the glass hasn't been treated to an enameled backing as even as the glass is tinted you would still see the headlining through the glass when the sun is shining on it,and i dont think even Alfa are that cheap :lol:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I can't even bear to have mine open in the height of summer.... :eek:
Yeah but you live somewhere where the sun actually shines Nev!

I never have to close mine. :cry:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I saw a black Brera S in Stirling Thistles car park today - A colleague said "is that not your car", I pointed out that it was an S but he did not seem impressed (Audi A3 Quattro driver). Anyway it did look pretty much exactly like mine - Then I went home and washed 1k miles of brake dust off my wheels and mine looked much beter ;) :D

No need to bother about a blind in the UK - Just get it cut. Dont listen to the purists against the mod - You are just being sensible, unlike Alfas stupid decision!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Because the S arrives at Portbury in basic non SV trim and on 4 space saver wheels. The chaps there then bolt all the trick bits on. It's not a factory car.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Why did they cover it up in the first place?
Basically as a supposed weight saving issue, does the blind and mechanism weigh much!? SR mentions the fact that it is tarted up once it hits the UK - I think they actually remove the light grey headlining and replace it with the darker S one, makes even less sense now!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts