Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I open the boot with a dead battery?

My battery will hopefully be replaced under warranty in a few days. In the meantime I've had to get some things out of the boot and only managed to do this by jump starting the car and driving it round the block.

The dash instruments light up even with my dead battery but the boot release doesn't work either from the key or the ceiling button unless I drive the car for a short while.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Or, use the ski hatch and pull through the things you need (assuming your seats don't fold down)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a look and couldn't find the handle.
Is it under the front or side of the seat? The handbook diagram isn't too clear.
Has anyone used the handle on RHD saloons? Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Diagram looks like its on the front! Tucked under the Leather of the Seat!

Just checked the Brera (I know not the saloon) but worth a look and I couldnt find it!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just checked the Brera (I know not the saloon) but worth a look and I couldnt find it!
The Brera doesn't have that. Instead you have to fold down the rear seats, crawl into the boot, remove a plug and move a lever on the lock itself !!! :eek:
Does anyone aside from me read manuals? :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
have had to do that once, its a real sod! the handle is between the seat & floor on the os ,it may be under the seat cushion, iirc remove bolts then push seat cushion down & back to release! did not work for me as some thing had jammed the lock.:mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Had another look and still can't find it between floor and seat :(

Looking at the boot's design, I can't see how a cable would run from the lock to the seats without slack :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you can, Use a set of jump leads or power pack, That will give you enough power to open the boot. Mate of mine had the same problem with his X5 and the battery is in the boot! But there are some connection points under the bonnet for jump leads etc.
Dunno where the battery is on the alfa as I am still waiting for mine to be delivered.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As it seems, the 159 Sportwagon has the same dignified way of opening the boot (pic) as the Brera.
So to me it would make sense if it were the same for the saloon, if it has folding rear seats.

If you have a saloon with fixed seats and you can't find the cord from the first picture, I've run out of ideas.

(I had a saloon with fixed seats and I think I didn't see that cord, too. But I wasn't really looking for it that thoroughly.)

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Brera doesn't have that. Instead you have to fold down the rear seats, crawl into the boot, remove a plug and move a lever on the lock itself !!! :eek:
Does anyone aside from me read manuals? :D
Blimey, is there a kettle in there too for a teabreak?

·
Registered
712 Posts
There is small plastic "handle" under the rear passenger seat. If you tug the seat upwards you can feel it lurking away at the front , unless some Italian joker has pushed it to the back of the seat then you've no chance unless you can lift the seat out.
I found this on wifee's old 159 and had to ask the dealer what it was.
Good luck.:(
Andy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts