Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just backended a Seat Ibiza at 10mph causing broken headlamp (Xenon) and foglamp totalled. Bumper seems undamged or distorted so should just be a respray However I suspect total parts and labour cost may exceed value of car. Will interesting to see what Insurance company decide to do.
Could be a "write off" , buy back and self fix?
What do they normally sell a write off car for?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Have just backended a Seat Ibiza at 10mph causing broken headlamp (Xenon) and foglamp totalled. Bumper seems undamged or distorted so should just be a respray However I suspect total parts and labour cost may exceed value of car. Will interesting to see what Insurance company decide to do.
Could be a "write off" , buy back and self fix?
What do they normally sell a write off car for?
Sorry to hear that its an insurance job. How did to reverse into a car and damage the front of the car?

Just buy it back at what ever cost. then get on the Blower to Autolusso to get a second hand set of headlights. Job done!

Stuart

·
Registered
379 Posts
See THREAD " The fun continues"............where money is not as important as
keeping your pride and joy running...Were I thinking about money,I would have
dumped Mrs Alfa a long time ago.........:lol:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear that its an insurance job. How did to reverse into a car and damage the front of the car

Stuart
No, I ran into his backend. I already have the replacemnt foglight sat on garage shelf (one of those "jobs to do")
Insurance job 'cos third party will want to claim. Got protected NCB so shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Unfortunate...and easily done.....:(

Not all insurance companies will alow you to "buy back" if they write your car off, as many have an automatic contract with salvage companies. If you intend to keep the car whatever - don't let the insurance company have the car "for inspection / assessment" or you may never see it again....

If they do write it off and offer it back to you, expect to pay 30 - 40% of retail for a light damaged car, though this varies dramatically depending on the assessors valuation.....tho bear in mind that its subsequent value will be diminished as it will be recorded as either a cat C or cat D write-off - and of course if they make it cat C you'll have to submit it for a VIC - not a problem, just another bureaucratic hurdle.......

HTH

Richard

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
if its recorded as a cat C or D, i'd be inclined to take lots of photos of the damage, so that when you come to sell the car, people can see how superficial the damage was.

few buyers will be put off by a car having a replacement headlight and fog light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
a mate of mine recently had a crash in his golf and bought the car back from the insurance company for £85 which was 10% of the settlement. He is breaking it to sell the spares and has already made £400 so it is definitely worth buying it back.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
166 actually. Might see how much they will go up to before they consider writing off then settle for 50% of that and repair myself. should still be quids in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts