Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly 3 years of pleasant happy ownership of a lovely 1.4 multair Guilietta, the lease came up and I ended up parting with her rather reluctantly. I thought that would be the end of my love affair with Alfa for the time being but nope fate decided otherwise when I had a bit of a mis-hap with my family wagon that left it with some cosmetic damage that was un-economical to repair given it's age and milage.

Scanning the ads I came across a suspiciously cheap 2.0 jtdm 159 wagon, going for around half the market rate so decided to investigate. Turns out the reason why it's so cheap is because the body work is in shockingly bad condition, with paint peeling off every where as well as the usual chips. Polished swirl marks from previous bodged efforts are visible all over the car. There's also rust by the rear skirts and rear doors. Will post the pictures when I take photos of the bodywork.

Otherwise, apart from one of the rear windows not working properly and a dead battery, she's mechanically sound (touch wood) with lots of service history. Cambelt service done 5 years and 72k miles ago. Decided to bite the bullet and bought the car with a new battery fitted. Cam belt water pump service booked in for this week. Only thing of concern was the engine oil warning flashed up during the way back from a 150 mile drive in the evening after collecting her. Topped up the next day with 1.25 litres of 5w30 c3 and dipstick went from near empty to max full level!?!?!? Can only see a little bit of oil leaking round a gasket which is quite common so nothing out of the ordinary so far.

However the biggest problem I've got with the car so far was that in the haste of moving stuff out of my old wagon I was part exchanging, I spilled milk from a loose bottle in the shopping bag and the spill slowly leaked in the rear bench. I didn't notice until the next day. While I used kitchen roll to mop up the spills on the leather seats and lemon scented wet wipes to clean up the stains, the car has that horrible rotten milk smell wafting in now and again. I've sprinkled loads of baking soda over the seat and left overnight for now. Any advice on how to deal with the horrible smell which has stained my early days of owning this beauty of a car?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Clean the area as best as you can, is it the rear seat fabric and foam? And you will just have to let the car air out. It will take time, weeks, months maybe. Remove the seat if possible, and make sure under it is clean from excess milk.

Worst part is that you think the smell has gone, but really you are just use to it that you can't smell it anymore! There are A/C system cleaners that may help. Basically chuck them in the car with the a/c on and windows up for some time. They are more for removing odours in the A/C system rather than the car I think so might not help.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Linked story.....my wife bought an SLK privately a few years back....the day after the deal was agreed the (wealthy) lady owner had a pint of milk leak onto the passenger perforated leather heated seat. Next day in the heat the car stunk (We were not due to collect for three weeks as the ladies new car was delayed)….so she decided to have a brand new seat cover fitted and the seat internals cleaned by the main Merc dealer. When she got it back she was not happy with the mismatch between the brand new seat and the old one with a few years of wear and fade.....so ordered the drivers side to match! I was very happy when I collected the car for my wife to discover two brand new seats! Must have cost her lots of cash!! So milk is not always bad news!

Back to the Op....its a pig to get the smell of rotten milk out of a car interior....just need to wet vac everything fabric that it touched....attack it with the Febreze for a while and hope for the best!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean the area as best as you can, is it the rear seat fabric and foam? And you will just have to let the car air out. It will take time, weeks, months maybe. Remove the seat if possible, and make sure under it is clean from excess milk.

Worst part is that you think the smell has gone, but really you are just use to it that you can't smell it anymore! There are A/C system cleaners that may help. Basically chuck them in the car with the a/c on and windows up for some time. They are more for removing odours in the A/C system rather than the car I think so might not help.
Back to the Op....its a pig to get the smell of rotten milk out of a car interior....just need to wet vac everything fabric that it touched....attack it with the Febreze for a while and hope for the best!!
I've been liberally spraying the rear leather bench with baking soda to absorb the smell which does appear to be working as after each successive vacuum the bench smells a little less like rotten milk/fish, the smell is still there though but you have to press your face up against the seat to get a good smell of it now. Will carry on for a few more days and hopefully it will be gone otherwise I'll look into wet vac, hope it's ok for the leather though. Also hope I don't get stopped by the rozzers for any reason as it will look rather suspicious having a load of white powder all over the rear seats! :LOL:

Just installed a Sony double din touchscreen with car play which has replaced the locked OEM stereo so now have bluetooth and sat nav linked from my phone. Not the best position to have the screen though as I find my gaze is too far down and potentially dangerous while looking at the screen. Has someones done a mod where they moved the 3 gauges down below and moved the double din space higher up?

Reasonably happy with how the factory standard speakers sound with the Sony aftermarket stereo, probably better then it would have done with the OEM radio but mids and trebles lack depth so may look into installing an amp and a sub at a later date.

I'm quite happy with the car overall, always liked the 159 saloon back in the day and now that I'm driving dad wagons I'm happy to have the 159 sw. Only gripe with her is that it's the 136 bhp 2.0 jtdm which is so slow and underpowered. Shifting from 1st and 2nd feels and sounds like I'm driving a bus! Also feels a bit dicey pulling out of roundabouts or junction as it takes a while to haul it self from standstill. Can anyone recommend a good tuner in or near the midlands? Otherwise I may go down to Autodelta or Autolusso if they know their beans.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've booked my sluggish 136 bhp 2.0 jtdm for a remap next week, contacted auto delta and they advised not to do one for my car due to the high milage but also that they have never worked on the lower powered detuned version of the 2.0 jtdm 159 before and were quite surprised to find one had made it over to these shores.

Found a more local chap to have a look and do a diagnostic to see if she's in good condition. Read that the difference between the 136 bhp and the 170 version is the 136 has a slightly weaker gearbox but not as bad as the 1.9 cars and that the turbo is smaller compared to the 170bhp version. The chap says the maps he works with will give it 180bhp which although not as high as the 200+ the higher tuned version gets post remap, is still a lot better then what the car is currently doing. I was really having to put my foot down to keep up with a vauxhall people carrier going up a hill doing 60mph.

Also can anyone confirm what spec my car is? Acording to the car check sites, it's a turismo but it has full leather seats, power folding side mirrors and 18 inch turbine alloys. I suppose the original owner could have specced it up with these extras.

Also where is the button to open the boot? I've been using the key fob but only have the one set so wanted to know in case the battery starts to go.

The seller didn't have the owners manual so if anyone knows where I can buy one for a 2011 159 please point me in the right direction. Cheers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No dedicated button for boot release in cabin - only keyfob, or badge on the boot acts as a push button.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
As far as I'm aware its the same F40 gearbox on both versions.....unless you have one of the very last which used the C635 from the Giulietta.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I've been liberally spraying the rear leather bench with baking soda to absorb the smell which does appear to be working as after each successive vacuum the bench smells a little less like rotten milk/fish, the smell is still there though but you have to press your face up against the seat to get a good smell of it now. Will carry on for a few more days and hopefully it will be gone otherwise I'll look into wet vac, hope it's ok for the leather though. Also hope I don't get stopped by the rozzers for any reason as it will look rather suspicious having a load of white powder all over the rear seats! :LOL:

Just installed a Sony double din touchscreen with car play which has replaced the locked OEM stereo so now have bluetooth and sat nav linked from my phone. Not the best position to have the screen though as I find my gaze is too far down and potentially dangerous while looking at the screen. Has someones done a mod where they moved the 3 gauges down below and moved the double din space higher up?

Reasonably happy with how the factory standard speakers sound with the Sony aftermarket stereo, probably better then it would have done with the OEM radio but mids and trebles lack depth so may look into installing an amp and a sub at a later date.

I'm quite happy with the car overall, always liked the 159 saloon back in the day and now that I'm driving dad wagons I'm happy to have the 159 sw. Only gripe with her is that it's the 136 bhp 2.0 jtdm which is so slow and underpowered. Shifting from 1st and 2nd feels and sounds like I'm driving a bus! Also feels a bit dicey pulling out of roundabouts or junction as it takes a while to haul it self from standstill. Can anyone recommend a good tuner in or near the midlands? Otherwise I may go down to Autodelta or Autolusso if they know their beans.

A bowl of vinegar left in car for a day or so is pretty good for neutralising smells on areas that have already been cleaned.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
WHITE vinegar....not the brown fish and chip stuff!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
you'll want an enzyme cleaner for the milk, that'll kill the smell.
does the wagon not have a boot release button near the map lights? my saloon did but it was one of the early ones(56plate)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
does the wagon not have a boot release button near the map lights? my saloon did but it was one of the early ones(56plate)
I seem to recall early models had boot release button by map lights later models was the badge and no roof mounted button?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought an enzyme spray by Turtle Wax and sprayed it all over the rear bench and left over night to soak in, smells better already, hopefully it stays that way.

I seem to recall early models had boot release button by map lights later models was the badge and no roof mounted button?
There isn't any other button on the roof console except for the map lights and the Alfa badge on the boot doesn't move or activate anything like it did on my 16 plate Giulietta. The 159 is a 2011 model so probably one of the last made. Was the boot release an optional extra or something? Seems strange mine doesn't have the button on the boot or anywhere else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I'm aware its the same F40 gearbox on both versions.....unless you have one of the very last which used the C635 from the Giulietta.
Mines a 2011 plate, that must be one of the last runs for the 159. If it's the C635 how much NM can it take for a remap?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
On a 2011 plate it should be a boot badge button,I would say it’s either knackered or someone has replaced with no switch badge assembly

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Mines a 2011 plate, that must be one of the last runs for the 159. If it's the C635 how much NM can it take for a remap?
The C635 goes to 350nm.....against the F40 with 400nm and the M32 at 320nm....their names are the usual giveaway!!! That said many go way beyond those limits with no issues....some dont!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had her remapped today, hasn't totally transformed the car in the head pinned back against seat sense, more gave it a bit of a poke when needed and eliminated the long hesitation. Before, I had to put pedal to the metal and wait around 1/2 seconds before the turbo kicked in and she would start to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear, accelerating on the motorway felt quite laboured as I had to really put my foot down and keep it there for a long time to get up to speed, and going uphill in 3rd 30mph often required dropping down to 2nd.

Now when I press the accelerator I get a steady increase in speed without much hesitation, cruising on the motorway feels like a breeze without having to drive heavy footed and now I only have to drop down going uphill only when in 5th or above.

Also repetitive use of enzyme sprays has slowly reduced the rotten smell of milk little by little. So the next thing to deal with is the paint work! Best quote so far is £1000 to respray the bad panels.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Does not sound like it was quite right before the map to me. I had none of those issues....except on the steepest hills i won't have to change down out of top! The only hesitation I got was from standstill in a fast start....say from a busy junction. With my map (or my old tuning box) in place its a night and day difference....no off idle lag at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a blockage in the egr or dpf?
Quite possible, I've had 2 occasions when the the car stalled from standstill. Started up perfectly fine immediately after so maybe some big bills coming soon to sort those out. If I blank the EGR would there be any problems further down the line? Never had a modern derv with all these emissions parts to deal with before...

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Blockage on the DPFs on the 2.0 is very rare without other faults (running rich due to air leak etc)....unlike the 1.9 and 2.4 they are straight on the manifold under the bonnet and run much hotter and burn out much more thoroughly than the other versions mounted under the car. Id never say never though!

Reactions: symon
1 - 20 of 23 Posts