Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 156 passed it's first MOT in my care yesterday :)cool: ) however the mechanic told me that there was`slight play in both the front balljoints - does anyone know if it's normal to have this or is it time to prepare the Credit Card for action?

Cheers All

V

·
0 Posts
It's normal but undesirable! Do you have any knocking or clunking at all? It's probably time to change your lower wishbones (assuming he means the lower ball joints and not the uppers...check with him).

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks V02

The wheels only move a very slight amount - probably only a few MM, and there's no knocking or clunking as yet.

The mechanic didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about though.

If I have to get it done, hopefully the waranty will cover it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've had the same advice on my service, it was also reported last year. The car has only done 6,000 miles in the last 12 months anyway. Should be alright for another year.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had clunking noises - but stealer said it was just two loose bolts near the balljoint giving some play when turning. Don't know whether to believe him or not. He may be trying to avoid a warranty claim. They hate me because I'm on their case all the time.

Sound seems to be a bit better - but haven't really tested it yet.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Zoso: Which balljoints? Lower arms, upper wishbones, droplinks, or steering arms? There are a few to choose from! ;)

Droplinks are usually first to go and cheapest to replace.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I just changed both drop links and still have a knock when going over bumpy roads.

What is the next most lightly to go after drop links?

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Top wishbones: could be the balljoints or the main bushes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts