Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to take the G for its MOT today. To cut a long story short, it failed its emmisons test on visible smoke the first time around with nearly twice the reading on the machine that it should have had.

After an Italian tune up and a cruise for 30 miles in 4th gear at 70mph it just about scraped under the limit.

The MOT tester also commented that it make quite a lot of smoke for a DPF equipped car and that next time it may be worth running injector cleaner through and giving the car a long run before the test.

He also said that last year it would have flown through the test...

The DPF is in place, car is totally standard and otherwise runs well.

Anyone else had any issues?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried Millers diesel power ecomax?
A lot of good reviews on Amazon regarding emissions etc. I always use the stuff as most of the time I fill up with supermarket fuel. One bottle will last for 7 full tanks.
Maybe worth a shot, before the MOT is due?

·
Registered
40,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try it for a while not too long ago, but I couldn't really tell any difference, although that was before the MOT test was changed and the car flew through then.

I was thinking I do have a problem with the car making too much soot, and the DPF was struggling to catch all of it but if that was the case I would have very frequent regens but I don't...

I think the Mrs doing mostly stop start trips is the main cause, but will get some more millers and chuck that in a couple of weeks before the next MOT...

·
Registered
126 Posts
After 50.000 (many short journeys) to 100.000 miles (90% highway), every DPF is worn out and can be replaced ...
The cost price £ 800 - £ 1200 forgets every car salesman, to be mentioned in the sales contract .... :(

·
Registered
40,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the DPF is worn out.

I think it is a result of the new MOT rules.

How can you expect a 90,000 mile car to have the same emmisions performance as when it was new?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't think the DPF is worn out.

I think it is a result of the new MOT rules.

How can you expect a 90,000 mile car to have the same emmisions performance as when it was new?
At the risk if sounding like an old dad,
It seems everything we buy nowadays is to be thrown away and replaced after 5 years or so.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think you might have misunderstood the intent.
The new car should be miles under the limit so by the time it reaches at least 160,000km/10years it is still under the limit.

It isn't about disposable cars, rather car manufacturers have to make it last, this is one area which I like about the USA CARB regulation, as this is enforceable.
eg VW didn't not get a little "tut tut, you naughty boy" from CARB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts