Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a massive industry. From what I have read it scales out and over many other traditional at home and out of home entertainment industries.

so I have a question. When something is that big, its nuances known only to it until thus, can become mainstream.

So... what from this global community is slipping into the mainstream from this global phenomenon? Words we use, language we use, theories or thinking we had that we’re now more tolerant or open minded to?

I can’t believe there is no impact. Will a kid grown up on adavanced games played amid a global community have any time for relatively staid stuff like Coronation Street for example? Does what gamers wear influence what JD Sports stocks? I know the questions are clumsy, but you get the premise.

I’m curious. What do you think?

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
I think the term 'noob' is relatively known to the masses, and is straight from gaming parlance.

Oh God, and I've just thought - the popularity of 'dabbing' was directly from kids playing Fortnite.

eSports collectively now have more viewers than all but the most popular of actual sports.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the term 'noob' is relatively known to the masses, and is straight from gaming parlance.

Oh God, and I've just thought - the popularity of 'dabbing' was directly from kids playing Fortnite.

eSports collectively now have more viewers than all but the most popular of actual sports.
See, that’s interesting. I didn’t know about the origin of noob. Great example of how a word until then unique to an industry has filtered into the mainstream.

given the $$$$$ that the industry is worth and the millions globally that enjoy it, I can’t believe it comes without influence.

Bazza - you’re more into this than I am, but maybe you’ve made friends with someone in Mexico, and outside of gaming you cooked a dish they like, or listened to a song from an artist you’d never heard of before. It’s these incidental - yet cumulatively massive - things I’m curious hearing about.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

Dabbing was popular long before Fortnite came out. The dab dance is believed to have originated from Atlanta among a group of rappers known as Migos in about 2010....it's a reference to the habbit of sneezing after smoking too much marijuana. Fortnite did not come out until July 2017.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blimey. Everyday’s a school day on AO 👍

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Dabbing was popular long before Fortnite came out. The dab dance is believed to have originated from Atlanta among a group of rappers known as Migos in about 2010....it's a reference to the habbit of sneezing after smoking too much marijuana. Fortnite did not come out until July 2017.
I think you're mistaking 'existed' for 'globally popular'.

What got every kid in every playground in the Uk doing it was Fortnite, and the reason it swept the country about two years ago was Fortnite.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Bazza - you’re more into this than I am, but maybe you’ve made friends with someone in Mexico, and outside of gaming you cooked a dish they like, or listened to a song from an artist you’d never heard of before. It’s these incidental - yet cumulatively massive - things I’m curious hearing about.
To be honest, no. I game a lot, and I online game a bit. But almost always with friends I know in real life. I'm far more interested in cooperative play than PvP. The only exception is Rocket League which I play a lot. But there I just game with randomers, and my communication is limited to text chat. I have made somewhat friends with a German called Fabian mind you. But haven't swapped any recipes so far. ;)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
See, that’s interesting. I didn’t know about the origin of noob. Great example of how a word until then unique to an industry has filtered into the mainstream.

given the $$$$$ that the industry is worth and the millions globally that enjoy it, I can’t believe it comes without influence.

...maybe you’ve made friends with someone in Mexico, and outside of gaming you cooked a dish they like, or listened to a song from an artist you’d never heard of before. It’s these incidental - yet cumulatively massive - things I’m curious hearing about.
Someone I know was heavy into online car racing. His steering wheel packed up and a newer, better one was sent to him from Canada to London, because a rival had a spare. Thought that was quite impressive.

Should be said, though, an old-fashioned forum like our own played a part, because that's where the competitors gathered to discuss things.

Should also be said, when he thanked the Canadian for spending so much on airfreight, he replied: "Oh, I just took it into the office post room."

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Teabagging.

Neither of my kids watch live TV - at all. Nor do their mates. The TV is a thing to game on, and watch films/box sets. The idea of waiting for the next episode is beyond them, as is the idea of something being on at 19:00.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Teabagging.

Neither of my kids watch live TV - at all. Nor do their mates. The TV is a thing to game on, and watch films/box sets. The idea of waiting for the next episode is beyond them, as is the idea of something being on at 19:00.
I agree with this, I think the younger generation are moving toward instantaneous content. I think this applies to all sorts of scenarios, sport, TV, hobbies. Not many kids are interested in big build model kits requiring patience or playing a 5 hour round of golf. Even my lads mates who are avid football fans struggle to watch a 90 minute match nowadays, they’d rather play FIFA or something completely different than watch a match on TV although they’re happy to play and train for a game on a Sunday as it only takes up minimal time.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^ there’s a lot there that is very, very interesting. 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts