Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

As I'm taking a trip to Norwich this weekend, I did my long distance checks and noticed my coolant was beneath the 'min' mark... AGAIN

I know the coolant was at the right level and i kept an eye on it, after it went in to have th front coolant rail replaced.

That was the beginning of September, i'm now at the end of october...and it's eaten the full to min mark on the coolant.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is a sealed system and shouldn't lose any coolant. I have had my Brera for two years and never needed to top up the coolant at all. You must have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought.....grrrrrr

i'll keep an eye on it for another month, then take it in.

There has to be something fundamentally wrong with the cooling system though...discovery of a leak every 2 months like clockwork isn't right...

N

·
0 Posts
Check the connections to the expansion tank for any deposits/residues and replace
the clips with proper jubilee ones if they look like they are weeping.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nev, could the cap on the expansion bottle hold the key? Is it possible for water to escape if thats not creating a proper seal?

Also i will take a look at the clips, if i recall they do look a bit umm 'smeary'...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry if this is an obvious question but did you have a problem before the front coolant rail was replaced?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought the car in feb,

Took it back after it overheated on way home from work

It had the coolant pipe that was leaking replaced at a cost of £83

It also had a new inlet manifold and god knows what else due to failed egr before i bought it

Then spool forward a few months, it's losing water again..go in, it turns out it's weeping from one of the plastic bungs on the coolant rail, they take the plastic bung out, try one of the metal ones..still won't seal.

Replaced the rail at a cost of many many £'s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts