Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, took my GTV out of storage after a few weeks, getting used to the car again, I had to apply some heavy braking and there was a nasty clunk from the front nearside. It only did it once as I have not been brave enough to try again.

In the past 5 months its had:

New Brake Pads (PF 305mm pads) but i did have a few problems with the pad shims.
New Wishbones both sides
New Tyres
New ARB Drop links

The Disc retaining screw was missing on the near side, but the wheel bolts are tight so the disc shouldnt be able to move also given the disc locates on the hub.

All that I can think of is the old struts/top mounts, but i cant think why it would happen only on the near side under heavy braking. typically top mounts would make other noises in different instances than only under braking.

I had a wishbone shear on me a few months back, so being honest, this noise does worry me as if i have to do an emergency stop i dont want something to break and cause me to crash. I dont feel completely confident in braking if it makes this clunk.

It only happens under braking and not acceleration, so I did consider that it maybe the Gearbox mount and that only under heavy braking is there sufficient force for it to bottom out, or is this not possible?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In what way the caliper?

The caliper on that side hasnt been off, and if it does ill need a new one. The caliper mounting bolts are well and truely stuck and i know from experience (doing the other side) that its not nice when they do go (M12 thread)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Check your wheel nuts ( probably OK ) and if they're OK I'd check the lower wishbone(s) ( even if it has been changed recently ).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as said, ive already checked the torque of all the wheel bolts.

only thing was Ned pointed out i had the bolts for the wishbones (front/rear) the wrong way around. i wasnt sure if under heavy braking they are catching the inner CV joint some how?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts