Mercedes Benz 190E
17,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you go mate.

Reactions: JTD_Liam

·
Registered
14,878 Posts
I still love these. Completely off the wall and a glorious two-fingered salute to convention. I was threatened with divorce if I bought one.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weirdly, they’re odd because they’re actually massively sensible. So they’re not odd at all. They’re dripping common sense. I love them too. I think they’re fabulous.

·
Registered
34,782 Posts
I still love these. Completely off the wall and a glorious two-fingered salute to convention. I was threatened with divorce if I bought one.
When we finally had to say goodbye to ours my wife said she wished I’d persuaded her earlier to get one. In fact we walked past one locally that belongs to friends and she said “ I wish we still had ours”.

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
They are excellent cars, I think they're great. If I had one, I'd be torn between fitting an Alfa V6, a 2.4 JTD or a Fiat coupe 20v turbo engine. They all essentially bolt in, so..

·
Registered
34,782 Posts
Yes, thanks for thinking of Multiplas mate. I think they were victims of having a Euro5 Diesel as their newest engine at just the time when a new clutch was needed and at a high cost relative to the cars value. They still existed in Italy last time I saw them but not in the U.K. from the looks of it.

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2008 model with the old 1.9 8v JTD in it - I was surprised to find a DPF underneath it when I last had it on the ramp. It had never caused any trouble either.

·
Administrator
45,636 Posts
Look how low that window line is. Bet they feel incredibly light and airy from inside.

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
Look how low that window line is. Bet they feel incredibly light and airy from inside.
When you have the windows down it feels like you might fall out going around a corner.

·
Registered
34,782 Posts
The windows don’t have enough space in the doors to drop fully but those doorpull/armrest mouldings are higher than the top roll of the door trim.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm forever disappointed that I didn't have the family to warrant getting one at the time they were around in plentiful numbers. Bloody brilliant car, especially in an outlandish shade of green, turquoise, purple or orange with the rear window sticker saying 'Just wait till you see the front'.

They would've sold far better if they'd launched a few years later into a World where people seem keener for a car to make a statement. We seemed a lot less adventurous in the late 90s - even Citroën went dull as dishwater at that point, so the poor Multi didn't stand a chance :(

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We had one as a rental in Italy a few years back. It had been converted to be a dual fuel car. Don’t ask how, but on the autostrada we managed to run out of both diesel and whatever other stuff it was running on, simultaneously.

The recovery driver that collected us, only had a single cab. He loaded the Fiat on to his low loader, and casually shrugged at the realisation that all six of us would be sat inside the Multipla as he took us to the nearest service station. I suspect this practice is probably illegal in the U.K., but ‘normale’ in Italy. Having been perched so high, I can safely say that, in those circumstances, a Multipla does indeed feel like it may tip over at any moment 😁

Reactions: JTD_Liam
1 - 12 of 12 Posts