Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shopping for a car and you could pop into the local Alfa Romeo Dealer, now as rare as a hens tooth.

You could wander around the many models on offer, The 159, Brera, GT, Spider, 147 even the selection of second hand cars was impressive with an abundance of nearly new 156s.

Since 2010 we have seen a sharp decline with Alfa Romeo becoming a two car model, yes we have had he 8C and now the 4C. Reality is we are losing potential customers to a fine brand through lack of choice and excitement in the current model range.

I have read the recent statements coming out of Fiat, frankly we have heard it all before. For how much longer can AR Struggle on with a two model range.

It is a shame, I am stretching the life of my GT buy some day soon I will get a tap on the shoulder from my employer and told I am now over the 4 year limit, and by some way.

I Pray and cross my fingers that AR come good, hopefully in my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It is stupidly annoying. I remember just a couple of years ago there was even a fair few GTs, Breras, 147s and 159s still knocking about. Now there is ONLY mitos and Gs, even the approved used ones are those 2.

:(

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
.../...It is a shame, I am stretching the life of my GT buy some day soon I will get a tap on the shoulder from my employer and told I am now over the 4 year limit, and by some way..../...
Happened to me...

GT gone, replaced with a Mito (well, I am still waiting for delivery, after 4.5 months and have been driving an Astra - but let's just keep that between you and me for now); the balance goes (as fuel and maintenance) into the Spider - everyone wins and I get to stay with my marque :)

(this was my 23.000th post on AO, by the way...)

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
When our local dealer (Western in Edinburgh) took over the AR franchise a few years back they set up shop in a nice big (ex Mercedes) showroom which they comfortably filled with a wide selection of new and used examples. Now you have to wade your way past the SEATs and Suzukis which command pride of place, and occupy the bulk of the site, to find a couple of G's and Mitos tucked away in a corner, :cry:. Whereas before, all the staff were AR enthusiasts who knew the marque inside out and we were all on first name terms, when I went in recently, I was hard-pushed to find anyone I knew (or knew me) other than the chap in the parts department, :(.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Western in Edinburgh was where I bought my MiTo. Great dealer. Very friendly and helpful and a great array of cars both new and used. Now; nothing. They are still a fine dealer but one has to wonder how much longer they can hold on to a brand that is slowly being killed by its owner.

I know of one salesman who moved onto another marque because the number of people coming into the showroom got so low.

I am currently looking for a new motor and I haven't even considered going into my Alfa dealership!:cry:

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Bishops has relegated the Alfas into a corner (but the front corner) of the showroom.

The rest of that half of teh showroon (other half is Fiat) has got a Lancia Ypsilon and Chrysler jeep models. They also have over a dozen (maybe 20) used Giulietta and Mito outside. No excuse the other dealers... :)

Only flip side is that the sales guys are obviously Chrysler/Jeep from some other previous position... only 1 of the guys there is old-days AR. On the other hand the Fiat chick is beyond staggeringly fit.. Worth a visit if you have even a passing urge to buy a 500! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
The nearest Alfa dealer near me, Meridian Milano has a lot of Alfas, a couple of really nice Spiders, lots of MiTos and Gs and a couple of 159s but they are starting to get lots of Jeeps and Abarths.

All of thier jackets are Abarth and so are the business cards. There is still a few pics on the wall of old Alfas.

Really dont want it all to die, just coz FIAT keep delaying everything. The new cars they are trying to make look really nice.

Since in very new to the marque - long stading admirer, i want to hope that my next car will be an Alfa and the one after that.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Al Foromeo, your secret is safe with me. I bought my GT from the lease company last year, even if I am forced to change it my plan is to sell my MG and hang onto the GT.

I have said on here before SaaB had two models and look where they finished up, Rover had no cash for development of new models re-badged and facelifts gave them the stay of execution, but that axe did finally fall.

Other marques are bringing new and exciting products to market and add in new technology the M &G are beginning to creak like the Rover 25 and 45.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
Your Gt should last what with the replacement engine a while back!
I remember your contributions to the Cloverleaf Club website.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your Gt should last what with the replacement engine a while back!
I remember your contributions to the Cloverleaf Club website.
Well remembered cue2, the new engine has now covered 61,000 miles and the car 101,000. The car still drives as well as it did when I bought it new in 2008.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
Well remembered cue2, the new engine has now covered 61,000 miles and the car 101,000. The car still drives as well as it did when I bought it new in 2008.
How time flies!
Good to hear all is well.
Let's hope Alfa get their share of the Fiat budget to develop the replacements for ours.
I'm tempted to wait for the Mx5 collaborative spider.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Western in Edinburgh was where I bought my MiTo. Great dealer. Very friendly and helpful and a great array of cars both new and used. Now; nothing. They are still a fine dealer but one has to wonder how much longer they can hold on to a brand that is slowly being killed by its owner.

I know of one salesman who moved onto another marque because the number of people coming into the showroom got so low.

I am currently looking for a new motor and I haven't even considered going into my Alfa dealership!:cry:

I can highly recommend Benfield Alfa in Newcastle, Dax the GM is a true enthusiast and I believe they sell more Alfas than any other dealer but still give that attention to detail that us Alfistis crave. :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts