Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I give two beans for this advert, but knuckles have been rapped by the ASA because someone is upset about some thing (of course):

I thought all TV ads were assessed by the ASA prior to release to ensure factual accuracy and that they didn’t offend whatever sensibilities could be offended. So how do we have post-broadcast banning from the body that’s meant to evaluate them pre-broadcast?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Surely no-one could possibly assess every advert before release, any more than IPSO could vet every word of every newspaper before it was published. I've always assumed the ASA relied on complaints.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m probably being naive, but I don’t see why not. What’s the frequency of new adverts v repeated adverts?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Perhaps predictably, we're both sort of right (i.e wrong). Here's the explanation of how they work:

·
Registered
32,216 Posts
That Deliverpoo ad was badly conceived by the “creatives” as it didn’t even describe the product. Sometimes an ad will get close to inferring a drink will increase a drinkers attractiveness or show it being consumed by somebody who’s to young. That’s different to the company that disappoints it customers when the try to order food from numerous places and they can’t do it.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s the aftershave/perfume/scent ads at Christmas that get me.

Look! A hunk. Playing beach volleyball.

Look! A gorgeous lass. Staring. Wistfully.

Now! Something muttered quietly, seductively, and usually in French with l’eau at the end.

I get scent at Chrimbo. My dad’s asleep, my mum’s contemplating the effects of that extra toffee vodka she said she wasn’t going to have, my bro in law is crying quietly somewhere, and I’m thinking... where are the gorgeous people and the idyllic lifestyle this scent promised me in the advert?

I’m starting to think all this advertising stuff is a con ;-)

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
‘avancez votre rumperty bumperty ce Noël, avec ‘Winner!’; nouvelle parfume de La La Land’

1 - 8 of 8 Posts