Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a bill (second reminder with a 50% mark up) to pay for an advert I've never inserted - I never got the original or 1st reminder...?
Checked my account with them and I have nothing outstanding and 100% rating.
E-mailed the company to ask what it was all about and got an answer giving me my old professional e-mail address telling me I had a second account with them which is still open...
I never did anything from my work place and told them I'd left that address almost 2 years ago.
I've had several e-mails since asking me for private details (to prove who I am) which I have refused since I got a bill through the post to my private adress and tey are writing to me on my private e-mail.

They are now asking me to please write to them from my defunct prfessional e-mail??? telling me that I do owe them money and can't get out of it. I even had an e-mail telling me to check my spam to see if I hadn't lost their bill there - SORRY?????? the bill was supposedly sent through the post.

I've asked them to phone me on my mobile to stop going around in circles and clear it all up but they won't phone.
Even asked them to provide a copy of the add that I'm supposed to pay and they refuse.

I don't see why I should pay for a service they can't prove I've used. I'll have to pay though if I don't want the Police at my door soon the way things work here.:rant:

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's EXACTLY what they want you to do - give in and pay. Unless they can prove you owe it, it isn't legally enforceable. Regardless of whether you do or not, the first step they will probably take is to pass it on to a debt collection agency. Either write back to them and tell them you don't owe and are contesting it, or chuck it in the bin (I would). The debt collection agency have no legal powers to make you pay it or even take you to court, though they may threaten it.

If they can't collect, or if you are contesting it, they MUST pass it back to the company. If the company decide to take you to the small claims court (anything up to £5,000) tell them you are placing a counter claim to cover your own legal expenses and even invite them to go to court. For one thing if you place a counter claim you can then ask for the case to be switched to your local court, and that means a lot of expense for them. In the vast majority of cases they won't bother because it's just too expensive, county courts will usually only award a small amount towards costs and it may well cost them more to file a claim and even if they win there's no guarantee you will pay it anyway - and the police won't bother you, it's a civil matter.

They could then ask for the court bailiffs to call, which costs upwards of £200 and they are allowed three visits in one month. If they don't get a result within those three visits - which might simply mean that you were out or you didn't answer the door when they called (or did, but refused to let them in - you don't have to!) that's that, if they want bailiffs to call again they have to pay again, but unless it's a large amount it is extrememly unlikely to ever go this far. They might still hassle you for the money if they don't go to court. Just ignore them, but don't bother trying to contact them, let them do the chasing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great advice. It does work like this in Switzerland only somewhere along the line the Police do come along and ring at your door. Happened a few years ago when I forgot to pay some other bill.
I've sent them a copy of my ID card to proove who I am and I'm still waiting for them to come back now with any advert I inserted.
I think they've given up (I hope), but am angry at the waste of time they put you to.
I can "understand" people who pay just out of lazyness. Its less hassle.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
tell them to shove it up their jaxi. we get calls from firms all the time saying we owe them money for adverts we've never placed. we just tell the straight these days - go Foxtrot Oscar :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts