Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Something that seems to be the main worry with Alfa's more then ive know with most cars is Cam Belt problems

Ive been always a OCD Cam Belt changer sometimes twice a year on cars ive invested money on the engine.

But what i want to know is if you have had a cam belt/pulley's etc problem or know of problems what was it that failed.

Is it mainly the belt or have other parts failed a lot , As i would rather replace a full kit every 2 years and belt twice a year then a kit every time. And suffering from OCD i dont want it on my mind 24/7 :biglaugh:

Is it me doing too much reading and finding horror threads as in my years on engines mainly cosworths and jap cars ive maybe had only a handful of cam problems that were not just a belt break. I say just but it was tears time for those it happened to except me :biglaugh:i was wise in them days i had a Tuned Mitsubishi 2.0 Starion which were not a interference engine for which yes i did have a Gilmer Belt snap on me.

Anyway Thx in advance

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Up to around 7 years old, most belt failures are due to tensioners, pullies or water pumps siezing or failing causing stress on the belt. Typically the belt will jump a few teeth or snap altogether when this happens.

Over 7 years and the rubber of the belt begins to age but failure of the belt itself is still unlikely.

I don't think I have ever read a thread on this website about a failed belt that has NOT been caused by a failing tensioner or waterpump. with the exception of the 2.0 tspark/jts in which case a broken balance belt can sometimes interfere with the timing belt.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Up to around 7 years old, most belt failures are due to tensioners, pullies or water pumps siezing or failing causing stress on the belt. Typically the belt will jump a few teeth or snap altogether when this happens.

Over 7 years and the rubber of the belt begins to age but failure of the belt itself is still unlikely.

I don't think I have ever read a thread on this website about a failed belt that has NOT been caused by a failing tensioner or waterpump. with the exception of the 2.0 tspark/jts in which case a broken balance belt can sometimes interfere with the timing belt.
Remember that on the V6 the waterpump is NOT driven by the cambelt.
Plenty of cambelt failed with stripped teeth rather than actually snapping. Usually at cold start.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for replies

I guess as long as i keep it all maintained it will be ok. But i did notice when checking the insides of a idler the bearings are seperated by plastic which would be the weak part, why not have all balls insides like other roller bearings.

Thx again

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thx for replies

I guess as long as i keep it all maintained it will be ok. But i did notice when checking the insides of a idler the bearings are seperated by plastic which would be the weak part, why not have all balls insides like other roller bearings.

Thx again
Do you think it would it be possible to press the bearing out, and fit a 'proper' one which won't fail? It's what we used to do to repair water pumps, and I'm seriously considering it when cam belt time comes round.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think it would it be possible to press the bearing out, and fit a 'proper' one which won't fail? It's what we used to do to repair water pumps, and I'm seriously considering it when cam belt time comes round.
No way of pressing it out , i think they press the center shaft together in two/three parts

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Remember that on the V6 the waterpump is NOT driven by the cambelt.
Plenty of cambelt failed with stripped teeth rather than actually snapping. Usually at cold start.
Exactly what happened to my TS. The belt was under 2 years old/30k due to a variator change under warranty but the tensioner probably wasn't ...

I keep the belt hanging up in the garage to remind me to change it regularly ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts