Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... or why I hate woodchip :mad:

If hell was wallpaper then it's 50 yr old woodchip painted over with oil based paint :rant:

Ok so after several hours with the steamer I'm still only about 1/4 of the way across this f#@'n ceiling (60 sqf down, god only knows how much more to go). And just to put the f'n cherry on things a large patch of plaster came with. :cry:

So has anyone anything constructive to suggest ?

G

·
0 Posts
Score the paper with X's all over this way the steam from the steamer will get behind the paper and soften the paste making it easier to get off!!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Lathe and plaster ceilings? If so right old 'piggin' job. Overtack/clad with board maybe? Fun and games finding the joists, but you can always plug the holes?:D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Definatly score it if its been painted over, get yourself a nice sharp stanley blade and go to work on it. Woodchip is a pain to get off.

If all else fails go at it with a heat gun to crack all the paint and then with the steamer again.

Also if you are using one of those little buy from the shops steamers then dont and go down to the tool hire place and get a proper one for a couple of days. :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
Also when you have scored it soak it with water, this softens it all up and helps the steamer.

G

·
0 Posts
As it is often used to cover a multitude of sins, it makes you wonder what delights you will find once you have it all off...I don't envy you, it is a pig of a job, even worse when it's a ceiling...

R

·
0 Posts
As it is often used to cover a multitude of sins, it makes you wonder what delights you will find once you have it all off...I don't envy you, it is a pig of a job, even worse when it's a ceiling...
+1. You may well find it was up there in the first place because your ceiling is in a poor state. If so, just pull the whole lot down with a claw hammer and start again. Or go back in time and leave the woodchip alone.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oi! we had owse' like that, ceilings that were lathes, plaster and horsehair, with Nosegay fag packets under the floor boards, curly shavings from the joists which were supported by sleeper walls. Finally sorted the ceilings, then attacked the dry rot, and shot the woodworms, and squashed the rising damp with Doulton Wallguard ceramics. Lovely old house, still standing after well over a century.:):

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could try a wallpaper spider, which is a handheld object with circular spikey balls attached which puts thousands of small holes in the surface of the paper. Also when you have finished with it, it can be re-used as a torture item for S&M style sex games. hope this helps!

N

·
0 Posts
I've found the best way to strip the wall paper out of my kitchen is to pay someone else to do it. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts