Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Casually flicking through my AROC magazine which dropped through the letterbox this morning I stumbled across a very interesting article. Autodelta are now shipping supercharger conversions for the 2.0TS engines. The car in the test was a very nice Zender 166 but their website also mentions conversions for the 156 and 147. I bet they'd fit to an older TS engine too if they were asked. Quite expensive >£2000 but the figures were amazing, try 226BHP up from 150BHP! Top speed increase to 155MPH! :D

They fit a Rotex SP30 supercharger, plumbed into an intercooler and chip the ECU with a suitable map. Apparantly no bottom end mods are required as the charger only runs 0.5bar boost and it's quite strong enough to cope.

Opinion in the test run was that it pulled smoothly and progressively...but like a train! Not as harsh as the 147 Turbocharger conversion they do.

Saving my pennies now as we speak, looks like the mod of 2003! :D

Anyone know any more about it? Will they fit to an older TS engine or supply in kit form? I'd give them a ring if I wasn't so busy at work frown

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Its ounds great! Still cant see how a car like a 145 would be able to handle any more than the 150 its already got though - the chassis doesnt seem the best to me (but maybe Im biased owning a Grale?)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Only slightly different floor pans!

But then with any big power mod, should also follow suspension & brake mods, otherwise you will end up like the R5 GT turbos - all go in a straight line!

But it does sound interesting, the turbo kit is about £3k + vat, so if the supercharger is cheaper, bonus!! :D

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Agreed! Big brakes are a must!!!

145 has the floorpan of a Dedra, Integrale uses the floorpan of the old Fiat Strada..... eek! eek! eek! !!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ukoldschool:
<strong>Its ounds great! Still cant see how a car like a 145 would be able to handle any more than the 150 its already got though - the chassis doesnt seem the best to me (but maybe Im biased owning a Grale?)</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rollcage and front and rear strut braces would probably do it if you were building it into a track-day warrior.

I'm quite confident enough in my 145 to take it up to at least 200BHP. Putting in 226BHP would make it a little less powerful than a Focus RS, Golf R32 and of course our beloved 147GTA; a little more than the Seat Leon (turboed one) and Civic Type R. Are you saying that all those cars have much better chassis than the 145 straight out of the factory? I'd be surprised if they were that much better.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Bear in mind the age of the floor pan...
Alfa 145=Fiat Tipo floor pan = 1990

So any floor pan designed/developed in the last 3 yrs is will benefit from at least 10 yrs technological involvment.

But saying that, the floor pan is a damn good one compared to most!

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Well, I dont mean to be rude but.... YES! all of those cars have a better chassis than a 145 - which is a cut down Fiat Tempra/Lancia Dedra.....
Technology moves on, so the cars you were talking about (including of course the 147) all have much more sophisticated chassis than our humble 145's. Dont get me wrong - you couldnt pay me to drive a focus or on eof those nasty german box's thats got a skoda engine in it wink but it is true. Anyone who's ever driven a focus would probably agree - **** car, drives bloody well though.

Ill stick to my (3rd gearless) Italian breadvan though thanks! regardless of its deficiencies...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ajcarter:
<strong>But then with any big power mod, should also follow suspension & brake mods, otherwise you will end up like the R5 GT turbos - all go in a straight line!
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amen to that brother! :)

Maybe one of those RaceLogic traction control systems or a Quaife LSD to handle that extra squirt out of corners too! :D

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
As a previous owner of an R5gtt I can say without shadow of doubt they can out handle a 145CL any day. The problems arise when these tarmac warriors fall into the hands of twats.... 10 ton of ICE and all the other crap they stick on and in their cars doesnt do them any favours, plus they usually all change the wheels for enourmous RUUUUUUUUUUUDE ones... this upsets the handling on the little fellas a lot. An R5GTT with original 13 inch rims, running the correct Michelin 185/55/13 tyres (which cost 100 each-hence why the boys change the wheels) and with a very simple bleed valve mod to give 175 bhp is a very quick and nimble car (cos they weigh **** all and the torsion bar standard suspension id very very good).

Only problem is - there arent any left that havnt been MAX'd out (twats). Of course Id still prefer to be in the MOMO splendour of my 145CL but thats for all together different reasons... :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ukoldschool:
<strong>
Only problem is - there arent any left that havnt been MAX'd out (twats).</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats what I based my reasoning on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<strong>Well, I dont mean to be rude but.... YES! all of those cars have a better chassis than a 145 - which is a cut down Fiat Tempra/Lancia Dedra.....
Technology moves on, so the cars you were talking about (including of course the 147) all have much more sophisticated chassis than our humble 145's. Dont get me wrong - you couldnt pay me to drive a focus or on eof those nasty german box's thats got a skoda engine in it wink but it is true. Anyone who's ever driven a focus would probably agree - **** car, drives bloody well though.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok, fair enough then, I'll concede.

Maybe I should have made the point that there have been plenty of older cars than the 145 with more than 226BHP and people still drove them without fearing for their lives.

Whatever, it's not a completely outrageous mod and I certainly trust the handling of my car to take it regardless of whether other chassis may or may not handle it better. :)

<strong>Ill stick to my (3rd gearless) Italian breadvan though thanks! regardless of its deficiencies...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We're talking the same language really, you see! wink

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
@AJ - youre not wrong! such a shame though.....

@phade - I guess Im a weirdo as stuff like reliability, cost of ownership etc has never bothered me when it comes to buying cars. I always go for:
1. does it look different? (answer should be yes)
2. will I see many of them around (answer should be no)
3. Is it fast? (def yes)

145CL fits the count on all 3, plus I get to laugh when people say "oh, I dint know you had an estate" etc... :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<strong>@phade - I guess Im a weirdo as stuff like reliability, cost of ownership etc has never bothered me when it comes to buying cars. I always go for:
1. does it look different? (answer should be yes)
2. will I see many of them around (answer should be no)
3. Is it fast? (def yes)</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Believe me I understand. You'll find people on here with much simpler criteria than that even:

• <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is it Italian?
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is it red?
  • <font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is it an Alfa?
<font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">:D

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
again Im werid - I wouldnt and couldnt drive a red Alfa. Too much of a cliche in my books, bit like if I had a ferrari (not that I would cause Im more of a lambo man) Id have it in black......

I still havnt seen another silver met 145 CL pre facelift so im well happy - seen a zillion red ones tho wink

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, owning an Alfa is all about individuality, so they can't all be red!! :p wink

They look good in all colours i've seen them in, although Im not sure on the metallic-mint colour??

R

·
0 Posts
I love red cars and I've loved the R5 turbo too ever since i had a ride in one running 150 bhp.

One of the best "seat of pants" cars ever made :D :D :D

Spent about 12 months looking for an standard red one in good nick but only found **** heaps. Eventually gave up looking and got interested in 145's.

Some R5 owners are ok actually - there not all twats.

Still love my 145 clover (so do the ladies!) but i would probably still get an r5 if i could find one in good enough nick(in red). :cool:

·
Administrator
45,688 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ajcarter:
<strong>Well, owning an Alfa is all about individuality, so they can't all be red!! :p wink

They look good in all colours i've seen them in, although Im not sure on the metallic-mint colour??</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wait till Andy reads this :D

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Saw the article myself - nice bit of advertising for Jano.....

The AD supercharger conversion gives you about 50bhp and 50lb/ft torque.

I've been talking to Jano about this for my 1.8 which on top of my induction/zorst will give me just shy of 200bhp... the 1.8 kit is 2.8K plus vat including fitting and can only be done at the autodelta workshop in west acton.

the 226 comes from the supercharger and the other mods like induction, zorst, uprated injectors.

You will definately want to invest in a uprated braking system to stop you... as well as an exhaust if you want to get the best out of the charger - think about it putting 0.5 Bar in means you have a lot more air to get out the back end if you don't have a larger exhaust you wont get the full benefit...

Simon

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bazza:
<strong>
Wait till Andy reads this :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What are you trying to say Bazza? :)

Do you think my 145 is mint coloured?
:( eek!
:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts