Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my GT for about 2 months now and decided to get a tuning box. Didn't want to waste money on a new one (in case it was a disappointment) and was on a tight budget so bought a 2nd hand one off eBay. :tut:

See photos - Its a TMC tuning box that Daren @ TMC says hasn't been sold for about 6 years by them but was "good" when it was current. It's off an old 147 and was pips to fit and it does make the car fly. :p

Initial impression is that the drive is smoother overall, more controllable, gives me power if, or when I need it, without needing to thrash it which is not my style anyway. Already the MPG which has averaged on the same journey everyday at about 42.8 is now at 44.2 and still rising after 120 miles so that makes my wallet happy! There is a slight puff of black smoke upon starting but to be fair I don't remember if it was puffing before.

So the downside.... Nothing that will make me take it off but:

1) There is a slight vibration around 2/2.5K revs if I push it hard, not sure if its just the power feeding through and normal or if its a clutch issue (still on original clutch after 92K). I will change the clutch in the next 3 months (with rear main seal). Certainly doesn't seem to be slipping from what I can tell.

2) The bit I would like to know is does anyone know what this box is exactly or ever had one, I know generally the 150PS JTDM goes up to about 173-177 with most (average) boxes but I really would like to understand what it doing for me. Will a garage be able to measure the new power with a diag tool??

Any thoughts? (Don't say I should have had a re-map):rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I had one on a fiat punto 1.9 jtd. That was 80hp in OE form. Took it up to 110hp.
It was basic and cost me £50 also second hand. So couldn't really lose.

Its the same basic engine and it just raised the fuel rail pressure. Crude way of doing it but worked none the less.

110hp in a Punto that weighed about 1050kpg meant it was pretty nippy.
Handled like a bag of crap mind. Too much weight in the front and tyres (15inch wheels 6J) just couldn't really cope with it.

Still it was pretty fun in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
No. Works on a different principle.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I had a tuning box on before and can say that the judder is more than likely the clutch dragging. I had this on mine and progressively turned into excessive clutch slip so disconnected box. 4k miles later and no clutch slip as standard but want to change clutch as I like the extra poke.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jiberson1. Looks like I'm Ok then if I take it easy. Monitored on the way home last night and only does it at certain revs & gear combies. So almost certainly clutch. As you say - I like the extra poke available!

BTW - fuel economy update for the skeptics and those interested:
Previously - 42.8 is now at 44.2
So the last 24 hours the average has gone from:
44.2 to 44.9 and still rising!
More updates will follow!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Check with Brim to Brim calcs not what it says on screen.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If the tuning box is sat between the ECU and the sensor, it'll be telling the ECU something different to what the sensor is reading.. Calculated MPG showed on the dash is gonna be a bit out of whack I reckon.. Fuel receipts and odometer readings are the most reliable was of telling ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In full agreement of the fuel readings method although ECU tracking to now has been pretty close to fuel app (tank fill to tank fill).

45.2 now but seems to be stabilizing now. That's a percentage increase that I can't workout yet :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts