Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK what i basically need to know is the following

I am gonna be looking at either a 2.4 JTD 150bhp or a 1.9 JTD 140 or 150 bhp at a push if the right one comes along at the right price

Whatever i get is having a remap - thats a given - i am going from a 185bhp Civic VTi with 8.2k redline to a diesel so.....

are there any massive differences between the 140 and the 150 bhp 1.9 JTD?

both seem to remap to the same sort of power (give or take 2-3 bhp which in a diesel is nothing) but is one more reliable or better to drive in the real world?

0-60 on parkers seems to drop from 9.4 to 8.8 seconds which to be fair is a bloody big difference

both are 6 speed so is this just parkers being its usual inaccurate self or are the ratios different? I would guess with a remap from alfatune both 1.9's and the 2.4 10v will drop to 7.5ish seconds 0-60 and obviously in the diesel its the mid range pulling power where mine will spend most of its time pottering up and down the motorways of the north west so will the 2.4 be better on the motorway? i.e. is the power band spread more on the 2.4?

·
Registered
126 Posts
not sure about the alfa, but i had a vectra with the 1.9, 150 Bhp engine, which i believe is the same engine, i found it to be a great engine, powerful and economical, then i fitted a DTUK tuning box... OMG..!!!! what a difference...the extra torque it provided was amazing and the fuel consumption went up too. best £300 i had spent in a while...

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
not sure about the alfa, but i had a vectra with the 1.9, 150 Bhp engine, which i believe is the same engine, i found it to be a great engine, powerful and economical, then i fitted a DTUK tuning box... OMG..!!!! what a difference...the extra torque it provided was amazing and the fuel consumption went up too. best £300 i had spent in a while...
Yes it is the same engine (although of course the 1.9 JTD is a 100% Fiat Group engine, so the Vectra has a Fiat Group engine in it:lol:).

And yes there is a difference between the 140 and 150 in terms of power delivery. I have driven both, I currently have a 150, it revs a little bit more to just under 5,000 rpm, and there is definitely more urgency once you're over 3,000 rpm (torque characteristics are the same, just more brio in the upper registers).

Unfortunately the 150 in the 156 is a rare beast. It only came in during the second half of 2005, so you need to check the engine number on the chassis plate (under the bonnet on the slam panel) to make sure you have a 150.

The engine code you need for the 156 1.9 JTD 16v 150bhp is: 937A5000

For a diesel it is an excellent engine.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as i say its getting a remap so will end up at nigh on the same figures as the 150 engine when remapped (minimal difference) and will be "fast enough" for what i need.

is it any less reliable or susceptable to any particular problems?

plenty of 140's knocking around so are they as good as the 150 for reliability?

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
as i say its getting a remap so will end up at nigh on the same figures as the 150 engine when remapped (minimal difference) and will be "fast enough" for what i need.

is it any less reliable or susceptable to any particular problems?

plenty of 140's knocking around so are they as good as the 150 for reliability?
Very solid unit. The only problems are:

1) Waterpump. Bearings tend to seize, snapping the cambelt. Highly recommended to get this done at the same time as changing cambelt/tensioner/idler. Which leads to:

2) Cambelt change. Official service is 72,000 miles/5 years, whichever occurs first. However with the problems of the waterpump going before this, plus there are sporadic instances of belt snappage within the time frame, best to get it all done at least at the 60,000 miles/4 year point (if not earlier).

3) Lower turbo hose tends to split. Good idea to upgrade to the silicone variety as supplied by AutoLusso (registered on here).

Apart from that it seems to be a very reliable solid diesel engine.

I'm sure you don't want to hear about the suspension/brakes though (the usual Alfa Romeo cheap add-ons), I'll leave that to others.............

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i have already resigned myself to the suspension arms and rear bushes going lol

is it true you can keep applying grease to "keep on top of it" so to speak?

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
You can try but the inherent lack of quality in these parts will mean replacement at some stage, whatever you do.

You can uprate the rear hub bushes with powerflex. The front lower/upper wishbones forget it.

If you're serious about power upgrade the list to tackle must be:

1) Brakes. Fronts are only 284mm vented and the OE pads are crap. You could try uprated Ferodos, some members suggest this produces good results. Dream set-up would be at least 305mm radial brembos at the front with uprated pads, keep the rear standard.

2) Dampers/springs. 156's generally and JTDs in particular dreadfully under-damped. Go for either Koni FSDs or Sports adjustables with Eibach Prokit springs (30mm drop from standard).

3) Front Anti-roll bar. Complete and utter crap on the JTDs. Same unit as the 2.0 TS engine. Can't take the weight. Bushes go 'ping' just looking at them. Uprate ARB to either the GTA version or Eibach.

4) Fit a Q2 diff. Not quite on topic but I'd just love to do this on my 150 anyway.

Generally the suspension is unbelievably dreadful, but if you uprate in conjunction with remap it's worth it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its gonna be a work bus to be honest - will trundling up and down the motorway most of the time so not gonna be under any huge load really.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Nobody's mentioned economy.....I believe the 1.9s are significantly more economical than the 2.4. I've run a 2.4 and it wasn't particularly economical for a diesel - it had done 215K miles, tho.....but the torque was still great and just used to waft you down the road....

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Nobody's mentioned economy.....I believe the 1.9s are significantly more economical than the 2.4. I've run a 2.4 and it wasn't particularly economical for a diesel - it had done 215K miles, tho.....but the torque was still great and just used to waft you down the road....
Yep great economy. I regularly get mid-50s on a long run.

I think though the OP was asking about 'reliablity'. How long is a piece of string?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats the other reason i was asking about the 1.9's i fancy the 6 speed too.

when i say reliability i realise its an open question i mean in the big scheme of things.

when the upper and lower arms and rear bushes are replaced how many miles should you see from them before failure again?

I am looking at getting a JTD and keeping for at least 2 years so will put about 50 k on it at least

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i thought the 1.9 140 was an 8v and the 150 a 16v:confused:

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
i thought the 1.9 140 was an 8v and the 150 a 16v:confused:
If you say that you'll get the 140 owners very upset:lol: They suffer from an inferiority complex against the 150 as it is:lol::cheese:

There were three versions of the 156 1.9 JTD in the UK market:

1) JTD 8v 115bhp 5 speed.
2) JTD 16v 140bhp 6 speed.
3) JTD 16v 150bhp 6 speed.

The 6 speed box is a delight, very smooth and great on the motorway. 70mph equates to 1,950rpm. No problem when max torque comes in from 2,000 rpm.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i know mate, same engines in the stilo apart from the 120:thumbs:

just thought the 140 was an 8v. ah well:lol:

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
150 was just a mild re-map of the 140. The 1.9 16v can be remapped to 190 quite easily. I believe in the latest JTDs Mangos do a remap for the GT at 200bhp. I think the driveshafts can take it but not sure about the clutch........

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
150 was just a mild re-map of the 140. The 1.9 16v can be remapped to 190 quite easily. I believe in the latest JTDs Mangos do a remap for the GT at 200bhp. I think the driveshafts can take it but not sure about the clutch........
yep, though going by AL's results in his 159, 197bhp, but yeah near as makes no difference 200. i wouldnt hold much hope out for the clutch. i wouldnt if i was driving it anyway:cheese:

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
yep, though going by AL's results in his 159, 197bhp, but yeah near as makes no difference 200. i wouldnt hold much hope out for the clutch. i wouldnt if i was driving it anyway:cheese:
:lol::lol:

I think one trick is to ditch the clutch/DMF and go for an uprated solid type. They do this on the 916 V6 Alfas so presumably they can do it for the 156/159/GT?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
:lol::lol:

I think one trick is to ditch the clutch/DMF and go for an uprated solid type. They do this on the 916 V6 Alfas so presumably they can do it for the 156/159/GT?
pass, but if i had that torque and power, the clutch would last a day tops, id be overtakinf everything, just for fun:lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
the 2.4 10v will drop to 7.5ish seconds 0-60 and obviously in the diesel its the mid range pulling power where mine will spend most of its time pottering up and down the motorways of the north west so will the 2.4 be better on the motorway? i.e. is the power band spread more on the 2.4?
My 10v 2.4 does 0-60 in about 6.9s (remapped by AHM), haven't driven a 1.9 but the 2.4 just eats the motorway miles

the 10v are all pre-facelift, whereas the 16v 1.9s are all post facelift and as such are much more expensive (as well as being newer) ... the handling of the 1.9 will be alot better than the 2.4 because of the weight differrence ...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts