Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... about the design decisions Mr Marchione is making, time is now to see what could be done to bring back more customers

ok, 4 door saloon is general everybody's darling, but what about 2+2 seater with 2 doors only. I am just bit bellow 2 m tall, so per default hate small front doors which are default on 4 doors saloons and hatchback. Small even for people from 1.85m tall.

so, it it would be looking like this:

that would starting being more attractive for many people. not everybody needs to transport on daily basis 4-5 people! what do you think?

ok, next thing Mr Manchione. When speaking about 2+2 Giulia, why don't you make an effort to make also something like this:

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m4-convertible-exterior-86.jpg

why? for several reasons: lot o f people like cabrio drive, but hate textile roof since extremely sensitive to (on purpose) damage.

but, with cabrio, for example me, I would like to have towing hook for several reasons: bicycle carrier and towing the caravan! Now, someone would ask why da hell towing caravan with cabrio? Well, while it makes everything available for you while on your road trip!

next thing: touch screen on the multimedia/navigation device! Mr Marchione: the most expensive Pioneer AVIC was (at the moment me buying it) approx 1000 EUR. When one orders with new car that Magnetti Marelli unit delivered (then) with 159, catalogue price was approx 3000 EUR and it was having 3 x less functionalities! not to mention that torture of searching for letters in navigation by turning that knob and pressing, letter by letter. Honestly, this is 21st century! I know that retro is (was?) in, but this is just torture and repeller of potential customers.

one more thing: why don't you open bit more towards the tuners? help them with bit opening the codes for the chip tunings. make some of the 3D geometries of car's outer details available, such that people could download (for example .STEP) files and start playing with the personalisations.

I am almost finished: why not making wheel rims to look more concave, to be easier to be protected by tires, and of course, for much more impressive general appearance?

food for a thought ...

please feel free to add your bucket list of wishes, if we are lucky, someone (Mr M?) might be reading this.

·
Registered
913 Posts
No need for touchscreen, especially not when there is a touchpad integrated onto the central knob. Many other car makers also don't incorporate touchscreen for safety reasons.

But I do agree that making a coupe, cabrio and SW should be a priority, since they are fairly easy and cheap to be made, as they would all be the same car with different body.

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
you dared to stick a fking BMW in this ?

a convertible one at that ?

what is the matter with you, you cant afford a 4C or an 8C or a Disco Volante or a Spider ?

the cars are already there, you just need to be able to afford them

Alfa Romeo are not going to make Korean quality cars in Thailand or Turkey, these are the finest hand made cars Made In Italy

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, im reading it alright, im reading you dont want an Alfa Romeo, you want a german or a Korean car

:read:
wrong, completely wrong! obviously you haven't understood the idea behind this thread

if I would be wanting BMW, I would be driving it. actually, had once it in the life and decided, that for my own money will never buy one of those again. not enjoying them same as AR, they are über-expensive and not that more times better (if better at all).

honestly speaking, only German car I desire to have (among other cars) is Porsche 911. but that would be in my garage only after having 8C first.

now back to the writing of the thread. since am not excessively rich (in which case would prefer to have 8C as nr 1 in my garage beside others), unfortunately have to be realistic and make some compromises.

as described in text, due to my height, I always have trouble getting through modern, affordable 4/5 door cars. in that manner would be coupe version (2/3 doors) of the car same length like 159/Giulia. I would like cabrio and something that can tow bicycle carrier or caravan at the back.

we might be laughing to the Corean cars, but they learned lesson and started employing good car designers, which is why now Kia and Hyndai now start taking all the design awards, while Mr Marchione lets himself luxury of letting one Walter de Silva to go and not to work with Pinninfarina, Giuigaro & Co.

I know that critics is hard to hear and often hurts someone's vanity, but personally think, that if it is constructive, that is the expression of the true love and passion to someone or something. of course, you have right on your own opinion.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you dared to stick a fking BMW in this ?

a convertible one at that ?

what is the matter with you, you cant afford a 4C or an 8C or a Disco Volante or a Spider ?

the cars are already there, you just need to be able to afford them

Alfa Romeo are not going to make Korean quality cars in Thailand or Turkey, these are the finest hand made cars Made In Italy
what one purist like you do driving one DIESEL Alfa Romeo?

yup, just comfort yourself that your 159 is hand made car :irked:

why mentioning BMW? well, if Mr Marchione is so hard pushing to get the same way as BMW is, why not trying to open his eyes with some useable details from the competition!

if I would be able to afford 8C or Disco Volante (the latter is not really my cup of tea design-wise), probably would not be making thread in the 159/Brera/Spider section.

do you use your brain before writing answers?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need for touchscreen, especially not when there is a touchpad integrated onto the central knob. Many other car makers also don't incorporate touchscreen for safety reasons.

But I do agree that making a coupe, cabrio and SW should be a priority, since they are fairly easy and cheap to be made, as they would all be the same car with different body.
and how touchscreen makes the car less safe exactly?

D

·
0 Posts
I think he may mean the big tablet ones that sit on top of the dash? not the ones that audi and bmw fit into the centre console.

I've seen many drivers, especially peugeot 208 ones using the touchscreen while driving, surely there should be a safety system where the touchscreen only works once the handbrake is applied.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I like the Giulia just as it is. They have done the right thing. I think Papa Gallo answered the questions.
Alfa's many, many years ago were like Ferrari are now. Exclusive and quite expensive. Anyway it's a business too and I think they strike a happy medium between cheaper marques and the more expensive.

If you need a convertible then you could buy a 2nd hand 4C? :)

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
43 Posts
In order to safely use a touch screen you have to take your eyes completely off the road and concentrate on the screen. The dial systems and high mounted screens being fitted to cars now allow you to use the infotainment system as a peripheral task and keep most of your focus on the road.

For all their faults BMW (sorry to bring them up) hit the nail on the head with the i drive systems and the big screens sitting proud on top of the dash. You barely have to take your eyes off the road at all.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he may mean the big tablet ones that sit on top of the dash? not the ones that audi and bmw fit into the centre console.

I've seen many drivers, especially peugeot 208 ones using the touchscreen while driving, surely there should be a safety system where the touchscreen only works once the handbrake is applied.
Pioneer's AVIC allows only few functionalities until the cars stops fully

now, would you apply same principle also to the button doodah controlled ones as well, or only to touchscreens?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the Giulia just as it is. They have done the right thing. I think Papa Gallo answered the questions.
Alfa's many, many years ago were like Ferrari are now. Exclusive and quite expensive. Anyway it's a business too and I think they strike a happy medium between cheaper marques and the more expensive.

If you need a convertible then you could buy a 2nd hand 4C? :)
first of all, second hand 4Cs are costing same or more than new ones (no waiting times) here in Germany so no reason for going to new one directly

4C is great car, but only as second, fun car. at the moment can not afford having 2 such cars as 150 3.2JTS Q4 and 4C.

4C cabrio makes 2 ticks in the box of few more requirements for a single car to fullfill. :teacher:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In order to safely use a touch screen you have to take your eyes completely off the road and concentrate on the screen. The dial systems and high mounted screens being fitted to cars now allow you to use the infotainment system as a peripheral task and keep most of your focus on the road.

For all their faults BMW (sorry to bring them up) hit the nail on the head with the i drive systems and the big screens sitting proud on top of the dash. You barely have to take your eyes off the road at all.
if you want to pay attention to what is on that screen, you surely need to take your attention from road.

the only ones closest to ideal are HUDs

so, if I any way need to stop somewhere to type in the address for navigation, I would still prefer to do this with touch screen, then rotating and pressing the knobs like idiot

:smash:

D

·
0 Posts
Pioneer's AVIC allows only few functionalities until the cars stops fully

now, would you apply same principle also to the button doodah controlled ones as well, or only to touchscreens?
There is a very easy byepass to get around Pioneers system.

I do think that any system should have in place a lockout built in to discourage drivers from using a touchscreen whilst driving, its no different from using a phone.

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
has anyone heard of voice activation ?

i believe that is in the Giulia features

"computer...set me a course for Monte Carlo"
"computer...call my wife"
"computer...read my SMS messages"

the only knob being used is mash's lol

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

the button with the mouth and a soundwave coming out of it is the voice activation button

http://www.motorstrends.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2015/09/giulia-volante.jpg
PapaGalo, thanks for the illumination, think we are aware of this

in theory this systems are ideal, praxis is sometimes bit different. try to pronounce some things in German as non-native speaker like Bühl, Pfingsten (and this are very short examples! on some words till I come to the end of the word I forget where I did started). sometimes just minor play with Ümlaute (letters with those 2 points above) or not can bring you to West or East Germany. I prefer for this manual input! furthermore, how many times have you used Hot Line at Customer Service which has this functionality? how many times it drove you crazy? be honest!

nevertheless, this system was not discussed here, the particular topic was buttons/rotating doodah vs touchscreen. if I need to operate something manually (no voice control), I prefer faster input than operating doodah like possesed. or repeating myself while trying orally to communicate with the electronic system.

for me step fwd will be direct control with mind (from what I see in newspapers, we are not far away from that) but this scares me a bit as well. but this is different topic.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
why mentioning BMW? well, if Mr Marchione is so hard pushing to get the same way as BMW is, why not trying to open his eyes with some useable details from the competition!
Useable details ?
The entire package was copied from the previous 3 Series BMW. I have that on good authority in addition to seeing the BMW tear down cars in the skunkworks document.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts