Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having read 10 pages deep into the forum, I have a few questions some of you perhaps wouldn't mind helping me with?

[I'm planning on spec'ing the 2.0 JTDM 170 TST Veloce in Antracite Grey with a few toys.]

1) I would prefer half leather seats to full leather, could anyone confirm whether the electronic adjustment option is available in conjunction with these or would I be forced to go full leather?

2) Having read up on the RadioNav vs TomTom option, I think I'd go for TomTom. I believe if I go for this option I lose the storage compartment, this may seem trivial, but where do those of you with sunglasses keep them for easy access when you have this option?

3) I would like a decent stereo (I spend half my life in the car), but the BOSE upgrade seems to get mixed reviews (I also have it in my current A3 and am not that impressed). Anyone heard both in a position to comment? Has anyone taken the standard speakers and upgraded them? can this be done professionally without effecting the manufacturer's warranty?

4) I read that the diesel comes with a supplementary heater to help warm the cabin/windscreen from cold start. Given the current weather can anyone comment on how effective this has been?

5) Any other comments welcomed (especially from high mileage drivers) on options that might be worth considering for the comfort side of things (I'm not concerned about the fun side.. that seems pretty much a given :) )

Any advice appreciated!

Edit to add: One more thing.. I can't find an option anywhere for a DAB radio.. there must be one somewhere, right?

D

·
0 Posts
Hi Libs,
lets see if we can help...
1, yes you can, electric & heated seat adjustment with std seats is available (£980)
2, Correct about storage box being deleted, mine live in the armrest storage area,
3, Bose is nice, but the standard sytem is fine, only way to decide is to try and listen to both one after the other as its a personal preference
4, was fine this morning at -4 !
5, Only thing thats useful & not on your list is rear park, maybe headlamp washers if your doing big motorway miles?
Finaly, no DAB im afraid,
If ive missed anything, drop me a PM

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Right questions posed, answers as above. I like the Bose. I couldn't live without the electric seats.
I'd pick the Xenons, which are among the best lights on any car, and the rear parking radar - rear visibility isn't there.
I'd skip the folding mirrors as they only fold an inch.
I'd consider the alarm, which also gives you 2 "real" keys (without the alarm you get one real key and one "saver").
I'd also consider the rain sensor kit.

Just checking: I suppose you get the 2 zone full ACC, if not, get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for your helpful replies.. I think that covered pretty much everything :)

1) Glad you can get electric half leather seats.. for some reason I thought this wasn't available.
2) Glasses in arm rest will work
3) Perhaps I'll consider the BOSE if the budget will stretch (probably bad form to ask about AM alternatives on the manufacturer site anyway)
4) I'm wondering whether I will still need de-icer or will the heater do the job on its own pretty quickly?
5) I will definitely go for the rear sensors, uprated brakes, rain sensors and possibly the sun roof.. I've never had Xenons and have always managed without.. is this one of those things that once you've had them you'll never go back? Lol

The only other thing I'm a bit nervous about is the Blue&me which seems a bit of a mixed blessing. As long as I can play MP3s off a memory stick I'll be happy and I think that comes as standard. I guess I'll just have to suck it and see..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Xenons: you can build excellent lamps without xenons, and bad lights with. It's easier to build good lights with xenons. Example of bad xenon: last generation Ford Mondeo (as in the ST220). Saab on the other hand have always had excellent lights. But the day I sat in a 9-3 with bi-xenons and turned on the hi beam (which is halogen) the only thing I could think of was a "Daylight" spell!

The Giulietta's bi-xenons are almost as good as the Saab's, which is quite fantastic really. And they've (rightly) received good accolades in Swedish motoring press.

B&M is a joke. I regret choosing that and the GPS-holder. Crap system :-(
That said: I think you need the B&M for the iPhone to hook up properly, so it's B&M or nothing. Just frustrating the Italians would be stuck with a system that feels like it's from the 90's. Not mentioning the fact the B&M system has locked up twice requiring a full reset of the car.
So: Avoid it if you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi TrakDah,

Very honest feedback.. thanks. I only NEED a bluetooth hands-free connection to my phone (blackberry) and to be able to play MP3s from a memory stick. Do I need B&M for this or can I get away from it entirely?

Edit to add: Just discovered "B&M + ICE" part of the forum, looks like I've got some homework..

D

·
0 Posts
Libs,
Blue & Me is standard anyway (as is two remote keys in UK),
works fine with a USB drive memory stick, sounds like you need a proper explore of one to answer your questions

DB

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a couple of things to say to.
Once you go Xenon you never go back...:) I have it on my 156 and on my Giulietta, and damn they are good on the Giulietta, way way better than the ones on the 156, that is something i would´t miss.
Rain sensor (and light sensor, i´m pretty sure they are bundled) is something i have on the 156 and don´t have on my Giulietta, and i really miss that rain sensor, its so nice to just start them when it rains and then don´t bother about them for the rest of that trip, sounds lazy or stupid mabye, but its really something nice, don´t miss it. On the Giulietta it will even turn of your xenons and just have driving lights on during daytime and then automatically turn them on again when it gets dark.
Get the electric seats for the reason alone that its possible to tilt the seat on that, you can´t on the manual version, i had to put in some longer screws and a couple of oversize nuts under the seat rail, to lift up the front of the seat to prevent my legs from going completely numb, i´m 6,1" and if you are anywhere near that hight then those are the two options you will have to do to sit well.
There are a couple of guys here that had the standard speakers replaced with something else, its always possible, i have the Bose and is very pleased with it, but as someone said before, you have to go listen to both and then choose.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Regarding the DAB.....Alfa will offer a retro fit add on as & when required. It's made by a third party £100 or so.

You must have the xenons!! Apart from the visibility they look really classy complimenting the DRLs.

Rear sensor & vis packs are no brainers to me.

Not so important are the red calipers but they look great & cost a fortune to retro fit - safer too ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I really wonder why its just called Red calibers in the UK brochure, in reality its upgrading your brakes from 305mm discs to 330mm discs and adding a 4 piston caliber in stead of the 2 piston on the normal version.
Its a massive upgrade, no wonder why its so expensive to retrofit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@AlanAlfaG
"Alfa will offer a retro fit add on as & when required. It's made by a third party £100 or so."

Do you mean the "Pure Highway" type of add-on, or something that hooks into the system properly?
I've got a Pure Highway; it works, but it's not really the sort of thing I want as I'm not a big fan of having devices dangling all over the dashboard, even if they are attached to the aux port. I'd rather have an integrated solution if possible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I read about it recently...it's not the pure highway but another bolt on goodie.

I believe it will be hidden/connected on the rear?

There are a number of car makes that will use the same kit

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really wonder why its just called Red calibers in the UK brochure, in reality its upgrading your brakes from 305mm discs to 330mm discs and adding a 4 piston caliber in stead of the 2 piston on the normal version.
Its a massive upgrade, no wonder why its so expensive to retrofit.
It's the term Alfa's chosen for them. When you look up rims for the car (as you and I have since we're in Svedala) you will find that all rim sites have a specific entry for "Giulietta with red calipers"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Following with interest.. not much more I can add myself until I have one sitting on my drive!

Thanks for all the help/advice though :)

R

·
0 Posts
4/ It's crap. It's the only real gripe I have about it. On frosty mornings it takes ages to clear the windscreen. If it's above freezing, even at 1 degree it does what it's supposed to do, puts the heater on HI and blast the windscreen by putting the fans on full. Under freezing point it takes an absolute age to heat up and it won't blast the windscreen until it does heat up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
4/ It's crap. It's the only real gripe I have about it. On frosty mornings it takes ages to clear the windscreen. If it's above freezing, even at 1 degree it does what it's supposed to do, puts the heater on HI and blast the windscreen by putting the fans on full. Under freezing point it takes an absolute age to heat up and it won't blast the windscreen until it does heat up.
I thought that was the whole point of the separate heater?

Does anyone else experience this?

Edit to add: Found this Youtube video.. 20 minutes to defrost at -18deg C. Representative?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XmvD_uB5UBw

·
Registered
517 Posts
(Looking at the DAB install PDF ......you can see how easy it would be to alter the facia panel)

As I listen to 5 live pretty much all the time the autodab will be high on my to do list!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts