Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've just moved house (hence I've been absent for a couple of weeks) and in a quest to find a local garage to look after the Alfa asked a trusted friend of a reputable garage in the new area. He recommended one he uses so I thought I'd give them a try with a nice simple oil change.... drop the car off 9:30am and asked for a flush and a change using semi-synth 10/40...how much...£10 plus the bits says the guy... 4.30pm I return to collect the car - the chap I spoke too has left and there is just a young mechanic there waiting for me to collect the car. I stand there with £45 in my hand (expecting it to be less) and ask him how much.....£60 says the lad....£60 I retort, what have you put in it?.... The young lad disappears off out the back and returns with a 5l and 1l tub of 5/40 fully synthetic oil which cost £32...plus £8 for a filter and £8 for a flush..... so a little argument ensues and I'm told I'll have to pop back and speak to the boss (the chap I originally spoke too)....

As yet I've not had a chance to go back ....do you guys think I should - my only concern being the car has always, always run with 10/40 semi in her.....is my babe gonna be okay with fully-synth for the next 6months or so....I know there's a whole school of though that believes a higher mileage car in its latter years should not have a change in oil and if it does it should be for thicker and not thinner oil...?

Cheers.....
DJ

G

·
well...

I beleived that fully synth should be better for the car as it shouldn't wear much/any components down as much as semi-synth does.

I run 5/40 full syth stuff in my motor quite happily with no probs. (3 yrs now)

TBH i thinks it's mostly a personal choice thing.

J

G

·
I agree that fully synth is better but I have only used semi synth due to cost and that is what alfa recommended from new. I do think the cost is high though. Filters are £8 but you can get them trade for about £4. My argument would be you were quoted for semi and that is what you should pay. You could pay them half that price and they will still be making money. Give it a go, be cheeky it aint gonna cost you more is it.

G

·
The only problem with putting
fully synth in a car thats had
semi-synth all its life is that
it could start developing leaks
due to the "Shock" (for want of
a better word) of suddenly
using different grade oil.
You might be ok and this won't
happen, but its something to
bear in mind.

G

·
5/40 does seem a little thin..but i think it will be fine as long as you havent done 100k..if you have i would personaly want something a bit thicker.

edited by me for not reading it properly.

G

·
ok i see now you did ASK for 10/40.....thats what you should have got......he may try to tell you that you know have better oil......but when all said and done its not what you asked for.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
DJ do what the punters do to us all the time GO BACK and Complain..........He should either reduce the cost or re-change the oil to what you asked for

Btw i run 10/40 or 15/40 semi synthetic in mine as the 5/40 is too thin and can lead to oil leaks or make the tappets even noisier than they allready are :rolleyes:

G

·
What do the 10 and the 40 mean ???
I think I need thicker oil for when my oil temp is above 80ºC. At knockhill, my car had about 0.5bar pressure at tickover and 3.5bar on the move. That's a lot lower than normally is.

Marlon

G

·
The 10 means how thick the oil is (viscosity) and the 40...err, cant remember??? Something like when it breaks down due to temp :confused:

I use 10/40 and thinking of a 15 next time. Don't bother with 5w on older engines...avoid 0w eek!

wrinx

G

·
Marlon
The SAE numbers on multigrade oils refer to the viscocity at high and low temperature (low temp 0 deg F, high 210 deg F), so a 10W40 means that it acts like a 10 weight oil at low temp and a 40 weight oil at high temp (lower the number the thinner the oil). The W refers to it being a winter oil.
All clear??????

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys....

I haven't yet been back - I drove up there after work last night but they'd locked up and left...I'll try get there in my lunch break today !.... Overall though, the car does feel like it's running a lot smoother and the oil pressure (according to the gauge at least !!) is higher than it's previously been bout 3bar at idle and nearing 7 under load...! The principle of the guy just deciding what oil I should have regardless of what I asked for really p'eed me off but I'm over that now...just worried that it's too thin for a 7 year old 110k motor thats spent all it's life with 10/40 in it.... Will go and see them at lunch and see where I get to....one thing is for sure, they won't be my new local garage !! :rolleyes:

G

·
That was my reasoning. I was gonna try 15/50 until doing a little "research" and finding out you could get 10/60 from a lot of places.

Marlon

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, went back at lunch yesterday to find the boss "out to lunch" and the same young lad there ......then again after work - shut......... and again at lunchtime today .....out to lunch.....!... given up now, car seems okay, oil pressure is good, morning patch of oil on the drive has not increased in mass (still bout 10p sized)and there is no signs of smoke nor burning oil smells !!... Their loss really...I like throwing money at old Italian motors, guess I have to find another garage to catch it !!!!!! wink

Question is, when it needs topping up can I use the nice big tub of 10/40 Semi I bought last week or do I now have to go and buy a big tub of 5/40 synth ?... and come the next oil change what should I be looking to put in her....?

:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.