Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
A question. The oil in my 147 is running a bit low so went to Halfords to get some to fill it up and decided to spend the extra money on some 0W/40 fully synthetic. This is recomended by the store for the 147 to reduce wear etc. Before putting it in it struck me that the car probably at the momment has the manufacturers recomend 10W/40 semi-synthetic. So the question is, is it okay to mix these two types of oil or should I stick with the 10W/40 that's already in it.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Any modern engine oil available on the High Street will mix with any other.

T

·
0 Posts
Its ok to mix but 0w40 will go through the Twinspark engine like no tomorrow !! :)

Stick with the 10w40 for better oil consumption. :thumbs:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its ok to mix but 0w40 will go through the Twinspark engine like no tomorrow !! :)

Stick with the 10w40 for better oil consumption. :thumbs:
Shouldn't be too bad, only thinner when cold. Comsumption will be higher but should only be significatly so if you do a lot of short journeys where the engine doesn't have time to get up to temp.

·
Registered
38,288 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad, only thinner when cold. Comsumption will be higher but should only be significatly so if you do a lot of short journeys where the engine doesn't have time to get up to temp.
Sort of agree here...The oil is the same thickness when hot as the 10w-40.

However oils always get thinner when hot than they are when cold.

The 0w-40 rating (in fact all multigrade ratings) give the impression that the oil gets thicker as it warms up. This isn't the case It merely gets thinner more slowly. :) So if it is the same thickness when hot, it cannot be too thin when cold.

It may even reduce consumption as fully synthetic oils are normally less volatile than mineral oils.

T

·
0 Posts
Agree with all of the above BUT from my experience with my engine, 0w40 does not last well compared with 10w40 with mixed driving. :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I suppose it is possible for the oil to thin at a different rate to engine heat expansion. That may account for this. Also, viscosity numbers are only rounded up or down, and are approximate.:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts