Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1.3 diesel mito, when purchased i thought the oil change would be about every 20,000 miles, but the oil change came up just after 8000 mls, alfa said the viscosity of the oil had deteriated so i had it changed, its now come up again after just 16000 mls and the flashing oil light is driving me mad, is there any way of turning the flashing oil light of without taking it into a dealership

·
0 Posts
Take it back - maybe a faulty sensor, but I wouldn't try & de-activate a warning lamp of any kind

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Take it back - maybe a faulty sensor, but I wouldn't try & de-activate a warning lamp of any kind
Absolutely............ It's there for a reason. Get the dealer to sort it............. and if they say it's ok, then ask them why they are putting crap "deteriorating?" oil in your car ?

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
you have checked the level havnt you?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
But 8,000 miles is pretty good going for an oil change.. .:confused:

Having said that, when I was a lad cars had carburretors! (ask your dad) :D

In this weather, particularly if you do trips of less than 10 miles, the oil won't get very hot.. so any condensation, acids and carbon are not getting as burnt out of the system as they might in summer - the oil is earning its keep at the moment.

The beast will also be running on a "rich" setting for longer than when the weather's warm.. so you will have more condensation, acids and carbon in the oil in the first place..

I'd say "go with the flow" and humour it a bit.

Get some decent 10W40 semi-synthetic from Halfords (their gold can for diesel stuff is pretty good) buy a genoooiune parts oil filter and give the beast an oil and filter change.

The old stuff goes down the tip, not down the drain.. and all you have to do is get that light to go out. Dunno if it's a dealer reset or if it goes out by itself (dealer reset would drive me bonkers though.. quite why I like my cars with carburretors! :D )

Ralf S.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That said, does everyone follow the service intervals for diesel and petrol Mitos? I had my old 147's oil and filter changed every 10,000 km and it's the same with the Mito. I don't think any car in the tropics could survive with a 25,000 mile service interval. High temps (>32C) and high humidity here aren't kind to engine oil.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Having said that, when I was a lad cars had carburretors! (ask your dad) :D
Remember them ... :thumbs:

SU's, Webers, side and downdraft ... changed needles for performance, tweaked settings, etc. Mate had a Corvette with a massive 4-barrel Holley!!! That was something else .. we spend days polishing the Holley for a show .. Brasso, Mother's Metal Polish, tooth-brushes, fine copper wire brushes, wet&dry ... you name it, we used it ... and could see our faces in it when we'd finished. Fun .. and plenty of beer was consumed before, during and after :D

Much more fun than today's fuel injection!!! :D

Even swapped an old downdraft with a single SU on my old A35 (948cc). Got the SU off a mate's Riley Elf he was breaking ... (that was an original Mini with a boot it anyone want's to know)

R

·
0 Posts
The length of time the oil will last without degrading is partly a function of the conditions it is operating under. Everyone will be different, that is why the warning light is there. You can only really guess how long it will last if you don't know all the variables - a bit like an exhaust, brake pads or clutches. Just be pleased that you have the light, otherwise you could have gone for another 12K miles with marginal oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mito oil change

I have 1.3 diesel mito, had to get oil changed at 4000 miles and now oil light on at 9880 miles. I am very dissapointed in car

·
Registered
30,242 Posts
I have 1.3 diesel mito, had to get oil changed at 4000 miles and now oil light on at 9880 miles. I am very dissapointed in car
Do you do mainly short drives?

·
Registered
6 Posts
when i bought the car i told salesman what job i done that it was a bit of town and motorway driving, i paid 110.00 to get oil changed the last time, thought the oil should last till the 21000 service not just another 6 months and would have to pay this again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts