Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I've noticed that sometimes when I start the car when it's already heated up, the oil light flickers on for a second or so just as the engine is settling to its idle.

This doesn't happen when the car is cold and it never comes on when driving. The oil level seems to be fine.

Anybody else have this? Should I worry about it or forget about it?

Thanks

Xav

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Are you using the correct grade of oil?

The oil pressure warning light does not need a lot of oil pressure to extinguish it. Therefore, it's not a great guide that the engine is holding correct pressure at higher revolutions. ie; the oil pressure could be low at higher revs, and you may not know about it.

I would get a pukka pressure gauge fitted to check the oil pressure properly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok - I'll get it checked.

It was serviced by a local indy with a very good reputation on here - I'm sure he would have used the correct oil. I'll phone him tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
PS- the fault won't manifest itself when the oil is cold, because it's thicker then and will be easier for the system to pressurise.

R

·
0 Posts
You have low oil pressure and (probably) a worn bottom end. Having said that, as long as the light goes out quickly, older high mileage engines can go on for a long,long time like this. If you obsess about things being perfect, you probably need a rebuild. If you are more relaxed you can ignore it for now.

P.S. Other causes for low pressure include a faulty sender or a stuck oil pressure relief valve, although I don't know how prone V6s are to either of these.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
You shouldn't have bottom end issues at 90k as long as the car has been looked after and hasn't been run low on oil.

It might well be an issue with the pressure switch, but you really need to get it to a garage and get the pressure checked on a proper gauge before you drive it too far.

Also check the oil cooler isn't leaking, and this might sound daft but when was the oil filter last changed?

Many garages don't even know where a V6 filter is located and it is possible it hasn't been changed for a while. (unless you do it yourself ;) )

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
Many garages don't even know where a V6 filter is located and it is possible it hasn't been changed for a while. (unless you do it yourself ;) )
There are even cases if the V6 filter just getting a spray with WD40 and a wipe over with a rag to make it look like a new one rather than actually change it... :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts