Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in about a litre every 1k miles - does this sound about right?

And does anyone know why, mechanically, the car uses any oil at all?

Had a load of compliments about the car recently, including when I had three people in the back for a very short trip the other day. One passenger, who owns a BMW 535d and a Porsche 944, said 'Oh, so THIS is what Alfa's are all about...the BMW looks a bit Germanic inside compared to this.'

Love it.

Yours, well groomed and materialistically,

R

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'd get it checked out, 1 litre every 1k miles sounds like you've got problems

·
Registered
519 Posts
Richard, my old 155 2 litre ts 16v would use about 1 litre of oil for about every 1000 miles. That car ran perfectly well and still does with its new owner. No blue smoke, no fouling of plugs, no oil leakage, no loss of compression, infact the engine, which now has covered over 190k, is excellent. Car Mechanics Mag did a thing on the GTV 2litre TS 16v a while back. They discovered the same thirst for oil and descibed the engine as being "loose".
Keep a close watch on the oil level and enjoy what probably was the best 2 litre engine in years.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I think that is within spec if you look in the handbook, the upper end of spec admittedly.

Our 147 sele uses oil at a similar rate. The descision is do you go for an expensive rebuilt as its likely to be related to piston rings, or just chuck in a fiver worth of oil every month. Some oils burn off slower than others, Magnatec seems to go quickly, Selenia slows the loss by half. Got some 10/50 Silkelene Pro S in there at the moment to see what that does, ester based so in theory better, we will see. IN the mean time its still pulls fine having put 10l miles on it and still sounds sweet.

May also be a leak into the inlet manifold up near the variator, some seal can go and cause oil loss.

HTH

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
all the ts specs in the handbooks say 1l for every 1k miles as normal, all depends on how you drive too. drive it hard, expect more;)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Rich - my old 145 QV used that much oil too, she always ran sweet as a nut...

My cats-*** ugly 166 TS now uses less oil since swapping over to 10/60 on the recommendation of my indi mechanic.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Maybe try a different type of oil? Try castrol, but it is suppose to use about that much oil, but some oils I found lower the usage

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
1L per 1000 miles is not that bad, the handbook says 1L per 1000 KM (620 miles) is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I was using castrol in mine ........... but I found it uses less now I've switched over to Mobil 1

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Can anyone advise the correct type of oil you're supposed to use in the 2.0l T-spark? I was going to buy some to top up the wives car last week and the guy in the motor factors looked in his book and said it was 5w/40 fully synthetic - does that sound right as I'm sure when I had it serviced last my Alfa indie said he put 10w/40 semi-synthetic in it? Obviously you need to top it up with whatever is already in it but what are peoples experiences of the different oil types in these engines based on 6k miles a year of mixed driving (by a woman!)?

Cheers

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
If it is running well I would not worry about it.
My 147 has consumed about 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles for the last 75,000 Miles...
In that time it has never increased. Use Castrol 10W60.
Engine runs like a dream...touch wood ;) :lol:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Can anyone advise the correct type of oil you're supposed to use in the 2.0l T-spark? I was going to buy some to top up the wives car last week and the guy in the motor factors looked in his book and said it was 5w/40 fully synthetic - does that sound right as I'm sure when I had it serviced last my Alfa indie said he put 10w/40 semi-synthetic in it? Obviously you need to top it up with whatever is already in it but what are peoples experiences of the different oil types in these engines based on 6k miles a year of mixed driving (by a woman!)?

Cheers
This particular question is one which comes about very regularly - if you want to get the various opinions and advice, its probably worth searching on "which oil" :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
At least your topping it up

First of all congratulations on having the common sense to actually check your oil</condecending>. The number of twinks that I have seen dead due to lack of oil is silly.

I have a theory on Alfa oil use, and it may be that, because it is so much fun to rev the engines up to the limiter, they spend a disproportinate time above 4K revs, which, in any engine, burns more oil. You ain't going to spin an engine to high revs unless its fun to do so...

The twinks are odd in that they require oil/pressure on the crank to hold the con rods square. Low oil/pressure leads to out of square rod travel, which knackers bearings in seconds, with rods going through blocks etc. Most other bottom end designs use something mechanical to hold rods square, but there must be a performance advantage in using only oil, otherwise Alfa would not have done it. The compromise down side is you need to be very vigilant over quality and volume of oil.

1L per 1K km is in the hand book as "normal", and is the same in the V6 books too.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I still have an unopened can of Selenia Racing in my boot for the last 2 years (just in case). My V6 doesn't need to top up the oil between they yearly services.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts