Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTV is a 97 phase one with the CF1 engine and although I don’t do massive mileage, up to 3 k a year, it hardly uses any oil at all and is now up to 85k

I did have a late 147 TS for about 8 months, which I believe had a CF3 engine. It had done just over 40k. It had been owned and used by a woman who had spent the previous two years just driving a mile or two to the shops, which I know probably didn’t help the engine, but I was shocked at how much oil it consumed. Nearly a litre every 500 miles.

So I am curious to know your experiences with the different engines. Do the later ones use more oil (sure I’ve read somewhere that they might) or have I just been really lucky with my GTV and unlucky with the 147? The GTV has only had two previous owners and from the history had been serviced with oil changes at least annually. In the 12 years I have had the car it has had oil changes every year and seldom does more than 3k a year.

I was pretty disappointed with the very good bodily conditioned 147 and totally get why non enthusiasts who don’t lift the bonnet between services can run the engine low on oil if my experience was typical of a CF3 engine.

What engine do you have and how is the oil consumption?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
My GTV, CF3, hardly uses any oil on 10W-40 semi and a bit more with 10W-60 synthetic. The 147 CF3 my daughter didn't use any oil at all, I warned her when she bought it to check the oil every time she filled it with petrol. After a while she queried why I had been so emphatic as the level didn't change. She didn't hang around driving the 147; when we picked up her Giulietta and I was following her back in mine I phoned her, hands free of course, to remind her of the speed limit on a motorway, so perhaps the way to do it is to 'use the engine' and the previous owner of your 147 allowed glaze to build on the cylinder walls by not doing so from early on.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My GTV, CF3, hardly uses any oil on 10W-40 semi and a bit more with 10W-60 synthetic. The 147 CF3 my daughter didn't use any oil at all, I warned her when she bought it to check the oil every time she filled it with petrol. After a while she queried why I had been so emphatic as the level didn't change. She didn't hang around driving the 147; when we picked up her Giulietta and I was following her back in mine I phoned her, hands free of course, to remind her of the speed limit on a motorway, so perhaps the way to do it is to 'use the engine' and the previous owner of your 147 allowed glaze to build on the cylinder walls by not doing so from early on.
Very possible. Short shopping trips are not going to keep a car in tip-top condition. I ended up trading it for a Lexus IS 200. Best built and most boring car I have ever bought, but what a great work horse. I was very underwhelmed by my 147 experience. I still have the Lexus which incidentally uses no oil at all between changes. Shame it’s so dull as I think it’s a nice looking car.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
My history with vehicles commenced with British motorcycles (I still ride and have my BMW from 1979) so was used to having to check oil levels frequently as the engines were never oil tight, or if they were, not for long, and were more like total loss systems. Royal Enfields were called Royal Oilfields and it was common for owners of examples to call theirs 'Torrey Canyon'. Transitioning to a Japanese motorcycle and then to German motorcycles showed that engines could keep their oil inside.
That frequent checking of mine of levels continues to this day.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had an early CF1 twinnie with 140,000 on the clock. It used a fair amount of oil until I started driving long runs with some speed an heat in her, then consumption dropped dramatically. From 1 litre per 1200 miles down to 0.5 litre over 3000 miles. boring 10-40 oil. So maybe a bit of usage might help.....

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Usage definitely helps. No good keeping it in the garage or a short trip to the shops. Mine gets used on medium and long trips and gets a good thrashing. It celebrates 25th birthday this month and hasn't blown up. Yet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a CF3 Spider with 10W60 and it hardly uses any oil. Took a trip to Italy and back last year, including a few spirited laps around Zandvoort on the way, and didn’t need topping up afterwards.

It does get reasonably well used though.

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
110 Posts
My experience of the TS engines is that they can use oil one day and not the next. Regular use and longer journeys definately help keep them in tip top. But best advice is check regularly and always keep just below max, do not let the oil level go below half.
Oh and use the little beauties!

·
Vendor
45,943 Posts
My old 2.0 TS used to use about half a litre of oil to a tank of fuel in local use - mostly 5 to 10 mile trips. But a long motorway run it'd burn through a litre in no time, I'd leave Penrith with oil on max and arrive in Birmingham with it below minimum on the dipstick. Topup and burn it all again on the drive back. I replaced that engine with a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo motor in the end.

·
Registered
37,871 Posts
I have had 9 TS engined cars in my Alfa Career. Pretty much all of them would use a litre every 1500-2000 miles.

I didn't have the fortune to own one which used no oil or the misfortune to own a guzzler. They were all consistently in the above bracket.

All were run on 5w40 fully synthetic oil of varying brands depending on what was on offer at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts