Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil temp gauge has stopped working, it wont budge of the bottom of the dial, even when the water is around 80c.
Where is the sensor located?
Is it difficult to fix?
Will it be expensive?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had my oil temp sensor replaced as the gauge had never worked since l had the car.

I think the sensor is located at the back of the engine and is only accesable from under the car.The cost of the sensor was £18 and according to my garage is easy to replace.

-----------------
Ian H

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it ever moved ???? My guage reads about 60ºC (the first mark) after the water is at running temp and I boot it for a few miles. It does get slightly warmer in the summer, but not much.

A lot of others say this is what their cars do.
I did see Jason77's hit 100ºC at Knockhill though eek!

Marlon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before l had the sensor replaced the gauge never moved at all,even on long journeys.
Now the gauge starts to move after about 3 or 4 miles and usually makes it to the 2nd white line after the engine has been running for at least half an hour. Don't know if it will go any furthur over on a longer journey. Will have to go for a drive to find out!! :D

--------------------------
Ian H

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your oil must be at 80 deg before the emissions test can be done.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My gauge has never worked since I got my car (12 months ago) it doesnt evern make the gauge just stays where it would when you switch the ignition off.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't think anyone's oil temp guage works on here... I asked the question a while ago (mine wasn't moving) and I still got no comparison because everyone else's was the same...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dudes, get yourselfs a V6 - the only 155 engine man enough to shift that oil gauge.

Mine takes about 15 miles to warm up but it normally settles at about 80 degrees.

In the summer it'd sit at 90 - 95. Almost started worrying me....!

Ralf S.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or a Q4, booting that in the summer will see the needle move towards the 3rd quarter of the gauge.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2ltr 8v sometimes registers, noticed it this morning, drove from Sheffield to Manchester airport and on the way back got stuck in traffic through Glossop (as always)gauge was nugging 80, but by the time I was on the top of the Snake Pass it was down near the bottom of the scale. the Water temp gauge sits at about 85 ever since the termostat was replaced though the oil pressure gauge stops at zero for last year now and the trip meter won't go past 79 miles. All these faults and I still love it after 6 years.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My local dealer reckons the oil temp sensor is badly placed on the 1.8 and 2.0. The V6 gauge flies up in comparison!

The gauge on my 1.8 used to just about move in general driving.

wrinx

·
Registered
189 Posts
the oil temp always seems about 10-15deg below water temp on my V6, so it regularly gets to 85 in traffic....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts