Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any take on this spec from the Alfisti??

Whats your dealer using??

My QV is due for an oil change and I refused a change until clarity over the Oil spec be investigated for the 1750 turbos which for some reason the center's weren't passing the new grade/spec through to customers.
With all respect they weren't advised of the change... mmmm

I dropped by the dealer on friday which to my surprise they received the upgraded oil. Comes in a 44 gallon drum.
Attached is the sticker on the drums.

Castrol Edge SAE 0W40 Alfa Romeo Castrol Edge 0W40.jpg

Now Im waiting for feed back over the gearbox oil.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Looks like they are doing their homework now. That oil should be good enough since it does conform to the minimum standard. But then again so did the original selenia for ma engines and that didn't work too well in the tbi...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Any oil grade passed by AR is good I just don't trust the length between changes...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Unless it says FIAT 9.55535-GH2 on the label it's not certified for the 1750TBi.

I don't understand why the dealers can't just use Selenia Sport Power. If they import 5000l of the stuff it won't be that expensive and if turbos are failing at R30k a pop Alfa Italy is going to start getting upset with all the warranty claims. It's not like they have money to throw around right now...

The very fact that Alfa changed the oil spec and re-printed the manual means there must be something to this oil spec thing, and the 1.4 engines are fine with StAR, but the 1750 changed. Something about this engine is sensitive to oil quality.

The Pmb dealership is not willing to tell me what oil they used, even after a written request. So that tells me either they don't know how email works or they have something to hide. And on the phone the service manager was evasive and said he "forgot" what oil they put in.

The only thing I can think of is approaching the high court for an order compelling them to use the manufacturer recommended oil, but that will cost more than just buying the oil myself!

Screw it, I'm just going to change the oil myself every 15 000km with Selenia Sport Power and be done with it. I would actually like to keep the car for some time, since I really love it, so if that's what I have to do to achieve peace of mind then that's what I'll do. But Alfa mustn't expect me to rave about their brand or their customer service.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
have the oil drained and replaced with Sport Power by an indie. Then send the dealer the bill. If they refuse threaten to take it up with AR-Global because let's be honest you're making more effort to preserve your cars warranty than they are.

R

·
0 Posts
I went past Gary Green Auto a few weeks ago and their one mechanic confirmed that they are using Castrol Edge....

I'll be buying my own Selenia before I do my first oil service - doing mine every 10 000kms...
Only thing is, with the new maintenance plan, you are not allowed to even do an oil change yourself - has to be done by a dealer and I think the cost is around R 2000..!! :mad:

BTW - Does anyone know what oil the GQVs ship with from the factory? Selenia?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I went past Gary Green Auto a few weeks ago and their one mechanic confirmed that they are using Castrol Edge....

I'll be buying my own Selenia before I do my first oil service - doing mine every 10 000kms...
Only thing is, with the new maintenance plan, you are not allowed to even do an oil change yourself - has to be done by a dealer and I think the cost is around R 2000..!! :mad:

BTW - Does anyone know what oil the GQVs ship with from the factory? Selenia?
Do they mark the filter and drain plug?? (Fury Ford used to to do that)

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Razzo, Gary Green is rasonable with their charges. They charge 1 hour for an oil change so if you supply your own oil, then you will pay around R650 for the change. The filter is cheap. And all TBI's ship from the factory with Selenia in the sump. It's just that we will all have StAR Pure Energy in the sump where it should be StAR Sport Power.

Where can one import the selenia oil from?...:confused:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The reason they wont use Selenia is bcause the dealers and say Castrol have a business arrangement whereby Castrol offers free services to the dealer and that dealer only uses there product.

·
Registered
347 Posts
CMH Umhlanga quoted R1800 to change oil if I supplied the oil.

I am working on getting a written mandate from FGASA that they will uphold warranty if the oil has been changed by an RMI Accredited garage using Selenia Sport Power.

Will update when I get a confirmation, then you can have copies.

R

·
0 Posts
CMH Umhlanga quoted R1800 to change oil if I supplied the oil.

I am working on getting a written mandate from FGASA that they will uphold warranty if the oil has been changed by an RMI Accredited garage using Selenia Sport Power.

Will update when I get a confirmation, then you can have copies.

So, about R2000... as I said earlier... seems some people always have to know better...

Getting a copy of that mandate would be great... :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Is there now a supplier for this oil in South Africa?
I have a non-mechanically inclined mate who drives a GQV so need to point him in the right direction...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have a look at this Castrol Edge 5W40 is Fiat 9.55535.S2 approved. Why are you guy carrying on about this. Castrol has a higher API rating than Selenia. Here a link and have a look.
Castrol Edge 5W-40

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I went Castrol route as none of Selenia or Mobil was available. I changed the oil myself and its funy that after mentioning it 3 times, no one said anything...so I'll repeat it, when I drained the oil after 20000km it was rushing from the sump like water...no lie!

The oil I used meets AR specs so I'll be damned if they dare void my service plan or waranty the oil should not be in these motors that long! I'll change mine every 10000km

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Exactly dkr...Castrol does the same thing and is R150 cheaper with an extra litre of oil

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have a look at this Castrol Edge 5W40 is Fiat 9.55535.S2 approved. Why are you guy carrying on about this. Castrol has a higher API rating than Selenia. Here a link and have a look.
Castrol Edge 5W-40
9.55535-S2 is not 9.55535-GH2. The S2 certification is for the 1.4 turbo and 1.4 turbo MultiAir. GH2 is for the 1750Tbi. Check the picture I attached from the Giulietta Manual.

So Castrol Edge = Selenia StAR Pure Energy. Not Selenia Sport Power.

Like I said, the S2 spec was for the 1750TBi when it launched, they have since changed it to the GH2 spec, listing turbo problems as the reason.

Look, it's probably going to fine to use Castrol Edge. It's an excellent oil. But it's hydrocracked mineral oil with the sulphur removed, wheras Selenia Sport Power is made from true synthetic base stocks. And for a few hundred bucks every 15 000km, I'm going to use it!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
9.55535-S2 is not 9.55535-GH2. The S2 certification is for the 1.4 turbo and 1.4 turbo MultiAir. GH2 is for the 1750Tbi. Check the picture I attached from the Giulietta Manual.

So Castrol Edge = Selenia StAR Pure Energy. Not Selenia Sport Power.

Like I said, the S2 spec was for the 1750TBi when it launched, they have since changed it to the GH2 spec, listing turbo problems as the reason.

Look, it's probably going to fine to use Castrol Edge. It's an excellent oil. But it's hydrocracked mineral oil with the sulphur removed, wheras Selenia Sport Power is made from true synthetic base stocks. And for a few hundred bucks every 15 000km, I'm going to use it!
WHERE?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

When you get Selenia Sport Power, let me know I'll also buy.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Razzo, Gary Green is rasonable with their charges. They charge 1 hour for an oil change so if you supply your own oil, then you will pay around R650 for the change. The filter is cheap. And all TBI's ship from the factory with Selenia in the sump. It's just that we will all have StAR Pure Energy in the sump where it should be StAR Sport Power.

Where can one import the selenia oil from?...:confused:
So, about R2000... as I said earlier... seems some people always have to know better...
Please see the attachment: Now take out your calculator: For labour, consumables and oil filter it will be around R650 which is exactly what I said. Then add R15 for sump plug washer...:D

They will also charge you R660 for Magnatec :vomit: but this was an excercise to see what it would cost if you brought your own oil.

I also didn't know it bothers you when some people DO know better...:tut:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts