Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is the oil allowed to smell like fuel? I had the oil changed about 1000km ago and right now it smells a lot like gasoline.

It's worth mentioning that I do have to do many cold starts and many short journeys.
Also I've been suffering from very low engine temp. probably due to a thermostat problem.

It appears that the oil level is very high too, but I'm not sure if it was an error made at the service or fuel leaking in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Constantly running cold will mean it is overfueling and you will get more fuel dilution into the oil.
Replace your thermostat ASAP.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
and then change the oil...!

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Fuel dilution will kill any oil, quite quickly regardless of quality.

I would change the oil at the earliest convenience.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't driven it at all since I found out about the oil state..just waiting for the thermo and I'll install it and change the oil at the same time.

Just hoping that there isn't any severe damage since there was one occasion when the oil level was extremely low and I did a very long trip without knowing about it..trusting the sensors...:tut:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the gasket is a must.

Are the gaskets the same for all the engine sizes by the way?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Which gasket?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Alloy top engines and plastic top engines use different gaskets so you need to make sure you get the correct one. The alloy top ones come in 2 pieces (one four around the outside and another to go around the spark plug holes) and the plastic top ones come in one piece (the spark plug holes gasket is joined to the main part).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts