Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I've recently changed my rocker cover gasket and since then when the car gets upto full temp I get a slight oil smell coming through air vents. I can't smell it when driving only when I'm sat idling at traffic lights etc anyone know what's causing this? Or had it happen to them before, I can't visually see any leaks anywhere so I'm puzzled to why its happening

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Assuming it was all changed correctly, I can only guess that during the change of gaskets some old oil made it's way onto exhaust heat shield or some other area.

If it's still smells after a couple of hundred kilometers there is probably something else occurring. Keep an eye on oil level through that time too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had the same symptom, i.e. occasional oil smell usually while the car was stationary or moving only slowly.

In my case the cam cover gasket was leaking slightly, and every now and then a drop of oil would drip onto the exhaust header. The header is 'naked' in that the rusty / cracked / unsightly old heat shield has been removed (causing no problems that I can detect), therefore no sign of oil on the non existant shield. The oil burnt off more or less completely and almost instantly on the hot pipe, so no obvious evidence remained (other than a darker dry 'spot' on the pipe). I found the leak by chance, while working on the car with the the bonnet open and the engine running (a small 'puff' of smoke, then a few days later I saw a drip actually happen). The only other sign was some evidence of very slight seepage onto the front corner of the head at the rear end of the engine (it dripped more or less at this corner).

This occurred with a relatively new gasket, still soft and pliable. After fixing the leak the drip and smell stopped occurring. I stopped the leak by refitting the gasket using a liberal application of 'Aviation Gasket' as a sealer (after thoroughly degreasing the gasket, cam cover gasket recesses and gasket face at the top of the head).

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, once its stopped raining I'll recheck the rocker cover and go from there

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got around to rechecking rocker cover and on inspection I found I didnt refit the hose at top lol so refitted and all sorted now, no more oil smell, thanks for the replies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts