Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mito 135 multiair, oil and little filter changed so no real multiair probs. That I know of.
The smell is noticeable when stationary normally but smells like either burnt oil or gearbox oil, fairly pungent.
I am wondering if theres a leak onto a hot cat/manifold somewhere...
Anyone had similar a similar prblem, have hunted around and could only find a Giulietta thread (same engine) describing possible remedies, badly refitted air hoses etc but it doesn’t address the issue.

Am out of the country at the mo and will pursue the cause when Im back but its been ongoing

·
Registered
18 Posts
My QV currently has this (or a similar) issue, in my case it's the vacuum pump gasket that's leaking a very small amount of oil onto the hot exhaust below. It's such a minor leak it has no impact on the running of the car (I regularly check my oil level), I've had a garage try to reseal it with liquid gasket (whilst undertaking other work) but that hasn't worked so will replace the gasket in the new year, it's a single use crush gasket that only cost around £14.
It's fairly easy to check if this is the case for you, just get under the bonnet with a good torch and have a good look & a wipe around the bottom of the vacuum pump.
Not sure how the 135 engine layout differs to the 170 though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've had this too. Mine was the segregator oil seal. The crankcase breather pipe comes up and into a plastic unit on top of the right hand side of the engine, and it mates to a male spigot with an o-ring on top of the cam cover. The O-ring is if poor quality and goes rock solid and shrinks over time, so the oil that's separated from the breather just runs all over the engine. There is another thread on it here somewhere. It's a very very easy and cheap fix, cost me £2.50 for an updated grade of o-ring, and its 3 bolts to pop the segregator unit off and replace the ring. Cleaning off the oil is the hardest bit, too many bits that you can't get at to clean. I still get the smell now, but that's just because it'll take ages to burn off everywhere.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My QV currently has this (or a similar) issue, in my case it's the vacuum pump gasket that's leaking a very small amount of oil onto the hot exhaust below. It's such a minor leak it has no impact on the running of the car (I regularly check my oil level), I've had a garage try to reseal it with liquid gasket (whilst undertaking other work) but that hasn't worked so will replace the gasket in the new year, it's a single use crush gasket that only cost around £14.
It's fairly easy to check if this is the case for you, just get under the bonnet with a good torch and have a good look & a wipe around the bottom of the vacuum pump.
Not sure how the 135 engine layout differs to the 170 though.
Where abouts is this vacuum pump?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
As well as leaking from the oil separator spigot and vacuum pump crush seal the pump has an internal rubber 'O' ring that can leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BTW the internal o-ring arrow is not pointing to the internal o-ring itself just the source of the leak should it fail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seem to remember getting the o ring replaced when I had the car serviced, got two for a quid each as well as the top hats which were fubar‘d and front springs.
I will have a look at leaks from the vacuum pump though. Thanks for the pointers chaps.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I seem to remember getting the o ring replaced when I had the car serviced, got two for a quid each as well as the top hats which were fubar‘d and front springs.
I will have a look at leaks from the vacuum pump though. Thanks for the pointers chaps.
Keep us posted if you find anything

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do, suspect it may be something like a cooked gasket going hard and leaking, engines do love having hot catalytic converters right next to stuff. Not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, had the car looked over by friendly mech, he suspected cam cover or head gasket but as its a pig to see we changed both. Turns out it was on its original cambelt too so that was changed as well as the tensioner. The smell persists so he is going to look at turbo oil seals etc. Getting expensive this!
Covered a few other jobs and after tracking was corrected, 6deg toe out on the left! the car goes really well. two new tyres etc.
Daughter was like ‘thanks’ and rocketed off in a cloud of dust! There’s gratitude...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Mine still smells, but I think it's just the sheer amount of oil that ran everywhere, going to keep an eye on it though.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I don't get the freshly burnt smell like I used to though, so I don't believe its chucking fresh drops onto the cats as it was.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah I changed my vac pump gasket a short while ago & it was definitely the cause in my instance. I managed to clean up some of the spillage whilst the vac pump was off but very difficult to get it all, loads on the undertray when I took that off. I now only get a very faint whiff when going through a puddle or similar where some residual spillage gets washed onto the hot manifold/exhaust but eventually it'll all burn away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts