Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the 2nd service performed at a touch over 7k miles, I'd forgotten the Oil only comes in 5litre bottles and the engine needs 5.8 at service, I now have enough oil to cover the 3rd service, thanks Petronas.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been using Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W40. I buy it by the carton. You get six 1 litre bottles in each box. It's convenient to keep the leftover oil in the boot. I only costs $80AU as opposed to $120+ for Selenia charged by the dealer.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W40. I buy it by the carton. You get six 1 litre bottles in each box. It's convenient to keep the leftover oil in the boot. I only costs $80AU as opposed to $120+ for Selenia charged by the dealer.
A litre bottle in the boot for topping up if you go on a trip, just completed 900 miles in the last weekend wouldn't want to cart a five litre bottle or have to decant it. I see a pattern developing my sons 500 Abarth takes 2.9 liters but the oil only comes in 2 litre cans, not as much an inconvenience obviously.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just had the 2nd service performed at a touch over 7k miles, I'd forgotten the Oil only comes in 5litre bottles and the engine needs 5.8 at service, I now have enough oil to cover the 3rd service, thanks Petronas.
Sounds like Petronas is more into volume than money then.

In my oil company I introduce 5L first (when new product) and then 1L to follow about a year or two later when the vehicle parc picks up and volume starts.
Workshops use 5L at first because when a new oil is released the price is high (it's high because the additive packs coming from the additives suppliers used are high) and cars using the new oil can be few and far between for a while. No point in investing £600 on a newly released oil barrel and sit on it for 12 months when you could do 5L packs for just in time delivery when you need it.

5L pack sizes are the industry standard for DIY (which is becoming less and less important as less and less people do any work on their own cars these days) and 20L, 60L, 199L packs are becoming more and more popular as workshops gain more and more customers.

Petronas is silly for not having a 1L version as the smaller pack sizes have the most margin in it, but then it's harder to get the higher volumes (which then brings in economies of scale from their production end)...

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Putting about 5ltrs into a car at change is not uncommon, so what are these packs people sell at 4ltrs? you have to buy 8ltrs to get the 5ltrs if you choose that product.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like Petronas is more into volume than money then.

In my oil company I introduce 5L first (when new product) and then 1L to follow about a year or two later when the vehicle parc picks up and volume starts.
Workshops use 5L at first because when a new oil is released the price is high (it's high because the additive packs coming from the additives suppliers used are high) and cars using the new oil can be few and far between for a while. No point in investing £600 on a newly released oil barrel and sit on it for 12 months when you could do 5L packs for just in time delivery when you need it.

5L pack sizes are the industry standard for DIY (which is becoming less and less important as less and less people do any work on their own cars these days) and 20L, 60L, 199L packs are becoming more and more popular as workshops gain more and more customers.

Petronas is silly for not having a 1L version as the smaller pack sizes have the most margin in it, but then it's harder to get the higher volumes (which then brings in economies of scale from their production end)...
Just picked up a new Giulia, 0w20 available in 1 litre as is the stuff for the multi air motor, at end of the day just inconvenient if it only comes in 5 litres.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts