Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a place to buy Alfa parts? I tried to get my oil changed but am stuck cos most of the service centres don't stock the damn filter.

pn 71736159

Maybe I should try Fiat shops lol

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thats for a twinspark then you can order 46808398 instead - also fits Fiat Puntos too :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta!

Will look for it, hope its not as elusive as the other lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
The oil filters are pretty cheap even at the agents...I like to use the OEM stuff where I can.

With oil, follow the manufacturers recomendation. Personally, if the car is 'older' or has a little higher mileage, I prefer to go for a thicker oil. I have good experience with Castrol Edge 20W60

·
Registered
41 Posts
The oil filters are pretty cheap even at the agents...I like to use the OEM stuff where I can.

With oil, follow the manufacturers recomendation. Personally, if the car is 'older' or has a little higher mileage, I prefer to go for a thicker oil. I have good experience with Castrol Edge 20W60
do you where to get good oil?
I am looking for a shop which has more than 1 brand.
I think Gargash is using Valvoline, while for petrol stations they only have local brands.

thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see the rationale behind using a 20W 60 ("thicker oil") on a high-mileage vehicle. How exactly is it supposed to offer it added protection?

Why not use 20W 60s right from when the car is brand new then...?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know where to buy these oil filters from, please? Other than Gargash and Ahli?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't see the rationale behind using a 20W 60 ("thicker oil") on a high-mileage vehicle. How exactly is it supposed to offer it added protection?

Why not use 20W 60s right from when the car is brand new then...?
As car engines age with use, the tolerances between the moving parts increases (wear). Thinner oils dont cling to the parts and 'fill' the gaps as when it is new, and the lubrication capability decreases. Modern engine have closer tolerances and thin oils are designed in accordance to be able to fit into those tolerances.

Also, the rating 20W60, 5w20 etc refers to the viscosity at cold (20) and at operating temperature (60). Essentially, they remain thicker at hotter temps. The only downside of a thicker oil in an older engine is that the oil pump has to 'work' a little harder...minimal performnce hit.

Put a 20W60 in a new, modern engine will result in lack of lube, and the resultant parts failure.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As car engines age with use, the tolerances between the moving parts increases (wear). Thinner oils dont cling to the parts and 'fill' the gaps as when it is new, and the lubrication capability decreases. Modern engine have closer tolerances and thin oils are designed in accordance to be able to fit into those tolerances.

Also, the rating 20W60, 5w20 etc refers to the viscosity at cold (20) and at operating temperature (60). Essentially, they remain thicker at hotter temps. The only downside of a thicker oil in an older engine is that the oil pump has to 'work' a little harder...minimal performnce hit.

Put a 20W60 in a new, modern engine will result in lack of lube, and the resultant parts failure.
"Some people believe that if a 30 weight oil provides good protection, a 50 weight must provide great protection. That's not necessarily true. If your vehicle was not designed to take a 50 weight oil, using one may not cause more engine wear, but it will likely cause an increase in engine temperatures. This can be just as bad for the longevity of your engine as increased engine wear"

The Motor Oil Bible - Chapter One :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Why not just buy the correct filter from Alfa, surely they cant be that expensive?

My last filter was 55 riyals from the dealer, I cant really see the point of trying to find a cheaper filter

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not just buy the correct filter from Alfa, surely they cant be that expensive?
I am using the correct filter but am irked that it is so damn hard to find it at any place other than Alfa in the UAE. Just wondered if any Alfistis knew better.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Some people believe that if a 30 weight oil provides good protection, a 50 weight must provide great protection. That's not necessarily true. If your vehicle was not designed to take a 50 weight oil, using one may not cause more engine wear, but it will likely cause an increase in engine temperatures. This can be just as bad for the longevity of your engine as increased engine wear"

The Motor Oil Bible - Chapter One :thumbs:
Are any car manufacturers out there that recommend using a higher viscosity grade oil for high mileage vehicles?

Even the likes of Mobil 1 , Castrol, etc. recommend using the same grade that was designed for the car but with their High mileage formulations that come in different grades (which were actually meant for your car) and that have extra additives for cleaning, seal protection, and anti-wear protection.

Mobil 1 High Mileage Oils

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I am using the correct filter but am irked that it is so damn hard to find it at any place other than Alfa in the UAE. Just wondered if any Alfistis knew better.
Ah ok.

I was using K&N Performance oil filter when I had the oil cooler fitted on my V6 but the filter thread for that setup was the GTA thread. I'm sure K&N also do one the same thread as 2.5 V6 but the filters are probably too long and more difficult to get than a genuine Alfa one :lol:

Now I just take my Alfas to the dealer and get them to do the oil and filter change. On the V6 its a pain to get to the filter and I cant be bother lying on my back to change it myself ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah ok.

I was using K&N Performance oil filter when I had the oil cooler fitted on my V6 but the filter thread for that setup was the GTA thread. I'm sure K&N also do one the same thread as 2.5 V6 but the filters are probably too long and more difficult to get than a genuine Alfa one :lol:

Now I just take my Alfas to the dealer and get them to do the oil and filter change. On the V6 its a pain to get to the filter and I cant be bother lying on my back to change it myself ;)
:tut:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Neither, I think they used to use BP oil but to be honest I no longer pay much attention to what oil they use. My Selespeed, which I bought new from the dealer, never used any oil up to the time I sold it (80,000kms) and this was using whatever oil the dealer put in it......so I've come to the conclusion that using the correct grade is the most important and just change it regularly.
My two V6s dont use any oil between services either so my spare can of oil just sits in the shed doing nothing :lol:

Sorry not much help really

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Neither, I think they used to use BP oil but to be honest I no longer pay much attention to what oil they use. My Selespeed, which I bought new from the dealer, never used any oil up to the time I sold it (80,000kms) and this was using whatever oil the dealer put in it......so I've come to the conclusion that using the correct grade is the most important and just change it regularly.
My two V6s dont use any oil between services either so my spare can of oil just sits in the shed doing nothing :lol:

Sorry not much help really
Actually, that's very useful info. from an Alfa veteran. So the key is using right grade of oil and regular changes. Thx:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts