Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is possible change from a semi-synthetic oil to a mineral one?, or are many chances of engine damage?

Thanks in advance
Jorge

I

·
0 Posts
You can change between synthetic/semi-synthetic/mineral oil without any worries about engine damage.

Are you having trouble finding semi-synthetic in Uruguay? If you want to change just make sure that the grade of oil is as recommended for your engine.

Ian

I

·
0 Posts
Selenia are an oil manufacturer and make different grades and qualities.

Have a look at the Selenia Oils website for more information - click on the 'Engine Oils' link.

Ian

W

·
0 Posts
Selenia in the red tin is semi-synth, black tin is fully synth............and yes, they are owned by FIAT, thats why its in your Alfa wink

wrinx

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there !
I always have used Motul semi-synthetic 10/40 in winter and the same make but 15/50 at summer.
But now here we have a severe money devaluation and dollar doubled our habitual local money change.
So, now Motul semi-synthetic is Euros 40 a gallon and I think that the local representant is nuts to sale a semi-synthetic oil at such price.
So last week when i did the sump thread job (thanks JB and all) I change to Agip 10/40 also "semi-synthetic" and in the bottle it says Sint 2000 but really it does not says in any place of the bottle that it is a semi-synthetic oil, because of that I think that his marketing name is Sint 2000 but it is a common good mineral oil and price is Euros 16 the gallon !!! instead 40 of the Motul price.
So, mmmmmmmmmmmmm..................
I don´t have an easy sleep with this thing! eek!

Cheers
Jorge

W

·
0 Posts
Oil is not far off the same price here! Personally I wouldn't use a mineral oil in a 16v engine. The oil degrades quicker. Most cars are filled with semi or fully synthetic from new so I'd stick with that :D

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Old tech mineral oils release gasses that are harmfull to catalytic converters, are usually not of the correct grade for your engine, leaves more sludge in the sump than new tech synthetic oils and must be changed more frequently and cause more friction.
In the long run it is worth it to buy the best oil, even if it is very expensive. I do have sympathy for the price issue though. Same problem in my country with weak currency.

Regards
Jacques

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there
This Agip Sint 2000 says in it´s bottle:
SAE 10/40
API SJ/CF
ACEA A3,B3,B4

Someone knows what this means ?
It si good or not ?

Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the chance for me to flog this favourite hobby horse of mine Jorge,

In a life that has been blessed with more cars than I deserve I can safely say that I've been through a fair cross section of the oils available out here.... and I've now settled evermore on Castrol's GTX (formerly known as GTX2) mineral oil till death or discontinuation do we part.

Shell's TMO and Helix Ultra, Mobil's 1, Selenia's special Alfa oil (red can), it's generic synthetic (black can), a good few of Agip's oils as well as the best Pennzoil, BP, elf and Petronas could throw at me, and Castrol's own SLX and RS have been in and out of the various engines which have had the misfortune to serve me.

The thing is that once an engine has say 50,000 miles on it the thin synthetic oils begin to find their way around the piston rings and alarming amounts can disappear between oil changes, quite apart from the fact that they don't actually do that great a job of lubricating the engines anyway.

Sure, they don't degrade as quickly as a mineral or a semi synthetic would but at the end of the day I'd rather accept that tradeoff and change the oil every 3000 miles instead of putting up with the coarser engine I get with synthetics to say nothing of peering at the dipstick in apprehension every few days wondering how much expensive synthetic oil I'm going to have to top up this time.

Besides, I'd rather chuck out all the carbon and other deposits that accumulate in the oil every 3000 miles instead of keeping em all sloshing about in my engine for a full 9000.

Dunno what oils you get out your way but that GTX is well worth a try. Worked very very well in all the engines I put it into anyway.

Bonne chance

Amir

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Amir, very good your arguments, just a question this Castrol GTX ( or GTX2 ) is a mineral oil or is synthetic or semi ?

Thanks in advance
Jorge

S

·
0 Posts
Hi Jorge....

It's a mineral oil dude.... pure no synthetic nothing mineral. Pretty expensive for a mineral but mmmm... delicious!!

Good luck

Amir

1 - 14 of 14 Posts