Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Cam belt etc. all removed then it can be approached from that side. Best thing is for you to look up the manuals that Totally Alfa has kindly put on that site. You will find the procedure in a couple of places, the engine overhaul manual would be easier but it is also shown in operations possible with engine in the car. There are a lot to trawl through but it's all there.

https://www.totallyalfa.com/downloads/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links. I was wondering how physically difficult it is once the belts are off.
How long did it take?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
If you have the sump off that's probably the most difficult part as there are those restricted access Ribe bolts. As for cam belts trickiest bit is making sure you have a method of recording where each cover bolt goes, I have corriflute cards in the shape of the covers with holes punched through for the bolts. Then there is the crankshaft pulley to deal with, note it is left-hand thread and tight, then it really isn't that difficult. Can't remember removing engine mount but it may be necessary, obviously the engine will need supporting if it is. Taking your time, checking everything, having a break now and then you can do the whole thing in a day for everything; you're part way through already.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
If it is because the walls of your socket are too thick try grinding down the walls just enough to clear.

Belay that thought! I've looked in the manual and that doesn't apply as once the aux belt pulley is off there's easy access.

As I said before it is a left-hand thread and has been torqued to 340÷378 Nm. There's a tool for locking the flywheel, number 1.820.624.000 but
if not available you can lock the crankshaft using a very stout piece of timber.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you can't undo the crankshaft bolt, try grinding a groove in the flanged washer so that it's so thin it loses some grip. It worked on mine, see pic of bolt afterwards.
Of course you'll need a new bolt but they're quite reasonable from Alfaworkshop.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is because the walls of your socket are too thick try grinding down the walls just enough to clear.

Belay that thought! I've looked in the manual and that doesn't apply as once the aux belt pulley is off there's easy access.

As I said before it is a left-hand thread and has been torqued to 340÷378 Nm. There's a tool for locking the flywheel, number 1.820.624.000 but
if not available you can lock the crankshaft using a very stout piece of timber.
We have got this far Now removed the belt

Attachments

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Now the pulley should pull off allowing better access to the bolt.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
In your photo that pulley is for the balance belt and is/was held on by the Ribe bolts you've removed. That pulley comes off to reveal the camshaft belt/crankshaft pulley that is held on by the bolt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts