Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !
I need a oil pump for a 2.4 159, like yesterday. Having checked the main dealers only to be told that Fiat have none in stock and can't give me a date. Has anyone got any suggestions. I have tried the normal factors too.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I got one in the end from the main dealers. Thay had to remake a new batch and that took about 3-4 months. On mine a cam rocker dropped all its needle roller bearing into the oil, one got into oil pump and gouged through the oil pump casing bleading oil all over the drive.

If you give Ned a shout at Autolusso he will be able to sort you out.

Why do you think you need one too ?

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
We've sold plenty of these, even to franchise dealers over the last couple of years. Oil pump failure seems a very common failure with the 2.4, and a lot of the time it does seem to be down to previous cambelt or rocker failure.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know FIAT did re design the oil pick up at some point to stop this happening. The new I fitted has the revised oil pick up.

Just as a warning a oil pump change is not a 5 min job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil pump failure on 2.4

Hello all,

We've sold plenty of these, even to franchise dealers over the last couple of years. Oil pump failure seems a very common failure with the 2.4, and a lot of the time it does seem to be down to previous cambelt or rocker failure.
As I recently asked for the old service records for my 159 2.4 from the Alfa service, it seems that my car has had the exact same issues. The cambelt was snapped, which was soon followed by oil pump failure. Some bits and pieces of metal was found from the oil sump, and the turbocharger bearings also failed due to lack of oil pressure. All this was about a year ago. Everything was repaired and works fine now, but after the oil pump failure the engine developed a oil leak. This was then, some time later, diagnosed by the local Alfa dealer by "engine block fractured, leaks oil behind the oil filter leg(?)" Soon afterwards the owner sold the car to a trader (which I can fully understand...), from which I bought the car.

Reading all this now was a bit shocking, as I have been struggling with the same oil leak. My question is that can a oil pump failure cause a fracture to the engine block? Can anything be done about this kind of fractures, besides taking everything apart and welding the block? I still have about half a year of warranty left from the trader.

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
Hello all,

As I recently asked for the old service records for my 159 2.4 from the Alfa service, it seems that my car has had the exact same issues. The cambelt was snapped, which was soon followed by oil pump failure. Some bits and pieces of metal was found from the oil sump, and the turbocharger bearings also failed due to lack of oil pressure. All this was about a year ago. Everything was repaired and works fine now, but after the oil pump failure the engine developed a oil leak. This was then, some time later, diagnosed by the local Alfa dealer by "engine block fractured, leaks oil behind the oil filter leg(?)" Soon afterwards the owner sold the car to a trader (which I can fully understand...), from which I bought the car.

Reading all this now was a bit shocking, as I have been struggling with the same oil leak. My question is that can a oil pump failure cause a fracture to the engine block? Can anything be done about this kind of fractures, besides taking everything apart and welding the block? I still have about half a year of warranty left from the trader.
Hi

I've not seen one with a fractured block before.. I think you need to get the car checked over again as you are going on service history from 2 owners ago. You never know what the trader did with the car when they had it. If you are going to try and get the trader to fix the oil leak you have, then its likely you're going to need to get an independent inspection done. The block is cast iron, its rare to repair blocks these days, pretty much all engine shops these days would want to replace it rather than try and weld it up.

Cheers

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts