Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Anyone have a clue if a gradual drop about 1/2 bar on the oil pressure gauge would give any imminent problems? This happened in a span about 2 months. The indicator at idle is now at 2. Previously, it has always been at the halfway point between 2 and 3. At high revs, it goes a little past 4. Now it is between 3 and 4.

Any cause for worry or the transducer is about had it? It behaves normally in the morning though. Is there a way to measure the output of the transducer?

Before there is a real problem with the oil pump and before I drop the entire engine to get to this pump, your input is greatly valued.

Kenneth :(

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
What's your water temperature doing? Maybe the engine is running a little hot? :( Before changing the pump, at the very least I think I'd try an oil and filter change.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Can you have the oil pressure measeured to verify the accuracy of the guage?

M

·
0 Posts
I'd go with what Mave says. If the oil is old, it may be going off.
Also...check the oil level ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've just had a similar problem with the 75TS. I traced the fault to the sender unit. I checked the guage by ensuring that the needle reaches the top to the guage when the wire to the sender is earthed to the engine block (ignition on). An oil change from 10w/40 Shell Helix Plus to 10w/60 Selenia Racing made no appreciable difference to the oil pressure (with a dud sender).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which wire and where would the sender be on a 16V 1.8TS. How does the sender measure pressure of the oil.

The oil was just changed 1500 kms ago.

How would one actually measure the pressure of the oil. Is there some sort of pressure gauge that mechanics should have?

Kenneth

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yes, you would need an oil pressure tester kit. You would first remove the sender and screw in the correct adapter to connect to the guage. I'm not sure where it is on the 16v (too reliable), but I'll have a look.
I'd first try grounding the wire for it though. If there anything like the 8 valve unit, then they can often become faulty.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
im not sure but there is a sender on the casing that holds the oil filter and one on the rear of the engine one will be oil level just take it off and short out the wires and see if the right gauge goes up. oh i think the oil temp sensor is the one on top of the sump and can be accessed from under car so id go for the one at the back of block somewhere under the intake manifold ? anyone confirm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts