Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm a bit concerned about my oil pressure (V6). Its 4bar on start up and when driving but only 2bar when idling, after it is warm.

Previous TS was always 4bar, any ideas? My only thoughts are a service/oil change needed or a dodgy oil pump eek!

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi Wrinx,

Sounds like your previous TS was the odd one. Your V6 is behaving like every other car and sounds quite normal. If you blip the throttle and the bar rises then its fine. In fact you can probably very slowly increase the revs and see when the bar jumps. 2 bar at tickover is ok, its 2 bar when driving thats the problem!

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply, you've settled my mind a bit!! Any1 else?

Its definately due for an oil change, dont like black oil :(

Whats best for a V6, everyone seems to recommend 5w oil, waddya reckon?

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, thanks Chris! Put my mind at rest.

You describe my V6 too; around 4 bar when idling from cold, 4 'ish to 5 'ish bar when warm on throttle, and around two bar idling when warm.

Mine's due for an oil change around now too Wrinx, so i would be interested to hear any suggestions, although i've heard mixed responses when inquiring about using fully synthetic in the V6. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex

It is a bit confusing this oil business! Used to use fully syn in my 1.8 but advised not to by current techy, dont know about the V6 tho'? I might go for a semi-syn and see how it is.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy all!

Well, I see it like this. I am a veteran of a few oil fussy Italian motors - Lancia Delta HF Turbos, Delta Integrale and a couple of boxer powered gems. I am on my second 155 2.0 TS and apart from the first Alfa I owned, ALL of them have been on AGIP SINT 2000. It is the only oil that doesnt seem to dissapear from the engine at a huge rate and it seems to stay cleaner longer. There, that is my 10c worth!! My mechanic has been working on Alfas for many years (and for the franchise dealers) and he is respected right accross the country and in OZ for his knowledge.

Just a thought tho!!

Oliver

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The owner's manual says you have to give the V6 10W/40 with an API rating of SF or SG (I can't remember which).

The good news is that SF and SG standards are quite low down the evolutionary table of oil - it is almost impossible to find ANY 10W40 oil in the UK that is not higher than this rating.

I use Selenia 20K as it is 10W40, has a high enough rating (SI I think) and is designed (20k = 20,000kms) to last between Alfa's service intervals (it used to be called "Formula Alfa Romeo").

It's also cheaper than something like Shell Helix semi-synth 10W40.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI GUY'S HAVENT GOT ANY ASNWERS JUST MORE QUESTIONS(HOPE YOU DONT MIND) WHILE WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT OF OIL WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR MY 1.8 16 VALVE AS I HAVE TRIED MOBIL 1 FULLY SYNTH AND ALFAS OWN SEMI SYNTH AS DEALER DOES NOT SUPPLY FULLY SYNTH SELENIA (STRANGE I THOUGHT) DOES THE OIL HAVE AN EFFECT ON SUCH THINGS LIKE THE VARIATOR AS MINE IS GOING AGAIN! AND WHY CANT WE GET OUR VARIATOR'S FIXED LIKE THE GUY'S WITH THE FIAT BARCHETTA'S THEY WENT ON WATCHDOG ON TELLY AND HAD PROB'S RESOLVED BY FIAT WHEN YOU PHONE AFLA/FIAT AND BRING THIS UP THEY ALL GO BLANK AS IF IAM MAD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used fully synthetic in the 1.8, Magnatec, seems to have been ok but have heard mixed reports on the stuff. Used Selenia for the first 3 years due to main dealer servicing for warranty.

General opinion seems to be to use 10w or 5w but nothing thinner. Mobil 1 isnt favoured on AO.com

There is an uprated variator available, did you have that fitted last time?

wrinx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts