Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '91 147 1.6, with about 50k miles on the clock. Over the last week I've been getting brief oil pressure warning displays whenever I pull away from junctions or traffic lights. I've checked the oil level and it's topped up virtually to the max.

I've seen other messages here about this warning display, with the oil level apparently OK, but most of these seem to be when cornering hard, rather than simply pulling away from a junction, and there are suggestions that it may be related to an unreliable sensor.

The car was serviced when I bought it 6 months ago, but I don't know what sort of oil they used so I don't know if it was the correct type.

Any ideas as to why I would only get this warning when pulling away from traffic lights (and not necessarily that quickly)??

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
My 2 litre suffered the same Mid 90's. Especially when having been parked on a steep incline, or accelerating hard. Somehow the sensor interpreted this as low level, never was!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Remember the hollow dipsticks? Small Dia. tube fixed to it, plastic bulb on the dash, press the bulb, instant reading without lifting the bonnet. Never experienced a mis-reading, old technology?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
itm said:
...I've checked the oil level and it's topped up virtually to the max.
Check it again and top it up the the "MAX" mark.

itm said:
The car was serviced when I bought it 6 months ago, but I don't know what sort of oil they used so I don't know if it was the correct type.
Any 10w40 Semi-Synthetic will do.

Could be a loose connection to the sensor, but it is on the back of the engine so not easy to get to.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
This is about low pressure, not low level.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Another thought, if you pull away so gently with so little revs that the engine is close to stalling then you could get a low pressure warning.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yep,good thinking David C, correct me if I'm wrong, feed wire to sensor,closed circuit, plunger and disc on seat, start engine,oil pressure, circuit broken as disc lifts off seat, warning off?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
sounds about right

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zulu ferret said:
Yep,good thinking David C, correct me if I'm wrong, feed wire to sensor,closed circuit, plunger and disc on seat, start engine,oil pressure, circuit broken as disc lifts off seat, warning off?
Hmmm...you've lost me I'm afraid. Does this support the theory of a faulty sensor, rather than a genuine oil pressure problem?

It may also be worth noting that this doesn't seem to happen until the engine's warmed up.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
With all the modern electonic 'gumpf' I could be way off target! Was thinking of the oil pressure sensors that had a plunger and spring. If the pumped pressure is suspect, possible test with mechanical
gauge,copper tubed,to be on the safe side. However, bow to the superior knowledge that is out there, as I am well over sell by date!

·
Registered
375 Posts
itm said:
I've got a '91 147 1.6, with about 50k miles on the clock. Over the last week I've been getting brief oil pressure warning displays whenever I pull away from junctions or traffic lights. I've checked the oil level and it's topped up virtually to the max.

I've seen other messages here about this warning display, with the oil level apparently OK, but most of these seem to be when cornering hard, rather than simply pulling away from a junction, and there are suggestions that it may be related to an unreliable sensor.

Any ideas as to why I would only get this warning when pulling away from traffic lights (and not necessarily that quickly)??
this is unrelated to your question - BUT -has the cambelt/pulleys/tensioners been changed yet!!!! p.s is '91 a rego reference or do you have the oldest 147 in the world?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Itm, I had the same problem with my car within a week of getting her. Only difference was my low oil pressure warning came on when turning corners. I didnt think it could possibly be needing oil as I had only had it a short while and it had been serviced just before I bought her. . .but it was!

I go through a litre a month, sometimes more, so it doesnt take much for the level to go down, and the 147 dipsticks are notoriously difficult to get good readings on the dipstick. Topping up the oil cleared my problem, even though it technically said low pressure and not low oil.

How often do you check your oil? If you've not had the car long, and you're doing a fair bit of driving, check it once a week till you get used to how much your engine guzzles, as some use more than others.

Hope it is something as straight forward as that, and not a sensor fault!

You mentioned having had the car for 6 months, and dont know what type of oil the garage used? Does this mean you havent actually topped up yourself? If this is so, you will most certainly be needing oil!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea if the cambelt's been replaced - this has been on my mind for a while. Next service is due in June so I'll get it done then anyway. In the meantime I've taken out some RAC warranty just in case...

The '91 should have read '01 (I'm still having some problems adjusting to the new century).

I check the oil about once a month - it's on the upper mark on the dipstick. I have no idea what sort of oil it is though.

I've just noticed that the warning also flashes when I brake hard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts