Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Does anybody know where the sender unit for the oil pressure gauge lives on the V6 engine.
Reason for the question is that on my way home from Northern Alfa Day, my Oil pressure gauge started to go haywire (intermittently) after a torrential downpour :confused: Think it might be either a faulty sender, or dicky connections :(
Has anyone had this before?

Mark :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Mark

Just been out and had a quick look, I THINK its on the right hand side of the front bank of cylinders. A single grey wire.

Jimybob will be able to confirm this :D

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wrinx,
Am I right in assuming there's a different sender for the low oil pressure light and the pressure gauge? :confused:
Although the oil pressure gauge was down at 0 Bar occasionally, the light never came on.
I don't in any way suspect the engine, but as a paranoid precaution I took the filler cap off while the engine was ticking over, and there was plenty oil getting to the "top end"
Must be a case Alfa electrics striking again!
:) (makes life interesting)

Thanks,
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct, there are two senders for the oil level (presume you have the check control panel) and one for the oil pressure.

My pressure guage gives some very low readngs occassionally but I'm assured its ok.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Been in the garage 'till 12.30am :eek: , and have found everthing but the pressure sender. Looked where you said Wrinx, at the front of the engine, and found the electronic dipstick sender, and on the back and found the oil temp sender, also found the low oil pressure light sender.

any other ideas??
(or am I blind) :D :D

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the oil pressure sensor should be quite large(almost egg cup size)i would look around the oil filter its in there somewhere.!!!when you find it pull off the wire and earth it the gauge should go right up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jimmybob!
Its the only one I didn't find and its the biggest
What a T*#t I am.

Mark.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,
Eventually solved my Oil pressure gauge problem :D .
All that was causing the erractic readings was a dirty connection. Pulled the connector off the sensor (which as it happens is located just underneath the distributor), sprayed in some degreaser, nipped up the spade connector,and reconnected it. Hey presto working oil pressure gauge. :cool:

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Under the Distributor? What's it look like?

My oil pressure gauge sometimes does strange things, so it may be worth a check on mine.

Ralf S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts