Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed this tonight as it was sending a reading OK to the guage (Assuming this does it) but the oil pressure light was on. Replaced with a new one and . . . .nothing. No light, no reading, nothing. Could it be an air lock, or do I need to bring the car up to temp and get the oil moving round more than just a quick cold start?
Also, for the life of me couldn't find the rad fan switch. ANy clues???

·
Registered
308 Posts
Scotty

The oil presure switch which operates the warning light basically opens and closes the earth circuit to the light. It's a simple switch containing a spring and a ballbearing so there's not much to go wrong other than it gunge up with oil and seize inside.

Check that the single wire going to the switch isn't broken or chaffing on another part of the engine. You can test the circuit by disconnecting the wire from the switch and earthing the it on any part of the engine/body (with the ignition on) and the red light should come on.

You don't get air locks in the oil system so that's not the cause of your problem. More likely to be an electrical/wiring fault if suddenly both the guage have packed in at the same time.

The oil presure switch for the guage works on a similar principle but instead of it being a simple one way switch it has a variable resistor built into it.

Hope this helps.

K

·
0 Posts
isn't there 2 seperate senders? mine has an ordinary pressure light sensor type one near to the oil filter and another one which i presume sends the signal to teh pressure gauge in the centre of the block, at the back near to the distributer.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the one above the oil filter I changed. Pressure guage was reading OK (until now) particularly so after changing to an Alfa original filter with the spring inside

·
Registered
308 Posts
isn't there 2 seperate senders? mine has an ordinary pressure light sensor type one near to the oil filter and another one which i presume sends the signal to teh pressure gauge in the centre of the block, at the back near to the distributer.
Absolutely right .... the sender for the gauge has a cylindrical chamber on top of it whereas the one for the light is the small thin one nearest the oil filter.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that's what I get for doing the job without my glasses on . . . . . . all fine the connection to the pressure sender was 1- mockit and 2 - loose. all well now. Just changed speedo cable too which is a ***** to route (behind sterring rack or over??) and started working on the wee rust bubbles before they become a massive issue. Well-fed tinworm on these cars eh??
Wasn't going to but suspect may now drop the engine out at some point to sort the low compression on no3 (hydraulic tappets so can't do that simple cure) and sort the gearbox/clutch. Oh dear this is turning into a bigger project than I thought . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts