Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been wonderng for long time, whitout asking around (?), what might cause extra high oil pressure?

I read in the repair manual for the Q4 that the oil pressure should be 4 bar at 3000 rpm. What is strange is that my pressure is always at 6-6.5 bar and someties close to 7 bar even when the engine is really warm.

It is not due to too high oil level, that is checked. And it has been that high since the car was new. Bt it was not until I got the repair manual I realised it was too high. It might be the sensor or soething like that but I have had problems with leaking cam-shaft cover for long time. I replaced the gasket, but it didn't help much.

Any ideas?

G

·
First I would test the oil pressure sensor with a tester.

Warm the engine at operating temperature, disconnect the oil sensor wire and measure it resistance, you should read the next values :

At idle rpm: ~240 ohms
At high rpm (~4000): ~65 ohms
Engine stopped : 310 ohms

If you get some strange value, connect a variable resistor between the wire and ground, and check the pressure indicated at the instrument panel.

Cheers

Seba

G

·
Hi Moller
The easy way is to get a manual oil pressure gauge and connect it instead of the electrical sensor. It’s not unusual (with Italia cars :eek: ) that the gauges are incorrect.
Alfisti regards
Erik

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, I'll start with Sebastians advice and if that doen't help me I go for Eriks alternative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts