Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the oil pressure light coming on all the time, the oil was low but I have topped it up but it still comes on, any ideas?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
How low? :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up date on oil pressure light problem, I filled it up with oil, all was ok engine sounded good, backed off my drive and there was a line of oil on the drive, when I looked under the car it was leaking from around the sump plug area, any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Up date on oil pressure light problem, I filled it up with oil, all was ok engine sounded good, backed off my drive and there was a line of oil on the drive, when I looked under the car it was leaking from around the sump plug area, any ideas anyone?
sealing washer or crack in sump plug area

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, just found out it was the crankshaft oil seal. Any ideas on what could hace caused this?

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Not sure to be honest.

I would be tempted to get the big end shells replaced when it is done, as they are very likely to have been damaged due to the low oil level.

There is a good chance the engine will start knocking its big ends and damage the crank otherwise.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
A set of shells is less than £100 and don't take long to fit if the crank is out.

If you get the oil seal fixed, and then a few miles down the road the engine starts knocking that will be expensive.

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
You don't need to take the crank out to fit replacement shells, just the sump. If you are changing the rear main oil seal (crank oil seal) then it'd be worth thinking about doing the clutch at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts