Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my car (92 Spider S4) the oil pressure gauge is right on the red at tickover and only goes up to around 3 bar at higher revs is this ok?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not long had mine but the readings were not great on tickover and maybe the fourth mark- 4 bar? On the gauge at speed but with an oil and filter change it rose around thirty percent overall. Cheapest fix I ever had for an engine I think. So long as the low pressure light isn't on there is enough for the engine. More is generally better but I don't think the gauges and senders are particularly accurate anymore at their age. My volt gauge says just under twelve running but the volt meter I have reads nearly fourteen. The most accurate gauge appears to be petrol on mine which makes a change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only way to be sure is to use a direct pressure gauge to check to real reading. Most common problem is the little alloy crank plugs used to block off the oil ways in the crank have a habit of falling out! Quite common to find one in the sump pan...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It doesn't seem like anything to worry about. Do you know what oil you have in it? When I swapped my manual car's oil for a classic 20:50 the pressure as shown on the gauge increased.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This is the same on my 71 spider... on idle it drops to zero, then as soon as I increase the revs and start driving it rises again.... Its been like this for 8 years!

Since I got my car (92 Spider S4) the oil pressure gauge is right on the red at tickover and only goes up to around 3 bar at higher revs is this ok?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Probably not too much to worry about - the official owners manual on my '72 spider talked about how the red oil pressure light may come on at tickover but should go off as soon as you get off tickover - and this on a new car. So it's plainly considered OK to see the light come on with Nords. The light is much more accurate and reliable than the gauge.

As others have said, make sure you are using the correct weight oil (was 20/50 on mine) and keep away from modern lightweight oils. I once used a 5W/30 in mine and the oil pressure dropped noticeably. Keep the oil topped up with regular changes you should be OK.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,555 Posts
Old technology mineral 20/50 for old technology engines.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Would it be possible to run the 2.0 twin overhead cam in my 91/2 spider on castrol R ? No reason other than I love the smell.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Would it be possible to run the 2.0 twin overhead cam in my 91/2 spider on castrol R ? No reason other than I love the smell.
from the castrol site:
"Castrol R 30 is recommended for competition applications only. It is a “one meeting” only lubricant, with fresh oil to be used at the commencement of each meeting and drained at completion. Castrol R30 is not recommended for normal road use."

so not sure it makes a lot of sense;)...

·
Registered
381 Posts
No, no and again no. What you smell nowadays at historic car & bike events is people adding it to the fuel in small amounts to act as an upper cylinder lubricant. It should never be used in an Alfa engine as the main lubricant.
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts