Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gauges seem to have gained a mind of their own recently, the oil pressure gauge really scared me when it dropped to near zero but then picked back up again so i knew it was the gauge, same goes for the temp gauge, it drops and rises depending which way the wind blows, fuel gauge is OK apart from acting like a windscreen wiper in corners, Do you think the senders need replacing or could there be a common cause/
Thanks

G

·
Gauges can be checked by earthing their sender ends...gauge should peg at max. They share common earth 'daisy chain' connections at the back of the gauge housings, and a good earth is essential for proper operation. Further, their 12VDC feed comes off a common 'daisy chain' feed from Fuse 6 (pink on my car). All of the above worth checking before replacing sender units (and easy to do while checking telltale lamps at same time.) I know some guys create separate earth connections for each gauge body to the car body, to ensure a good earth connection...

Oh, and if you have any idea of bagging an oil pressure gauge from Cheshire Alfa, hands off...I've got dibs !!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yet again thanks Chris: I'll check out the earth's as that's what may be the problem
Now then, what were you saying about Cheshire Alfa wanting to sell me an oil pressure gauge and then sell it to you for 100% markup..............

1 - 3 of 3 Posts