Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

So I'm just about to order some Magnatec 10/40 which I've been using in my 147 2.0 T-Spark Petrol for a while now - but came across the Petronas Syntium 800 EU10W-40.

Has anyone used the Petronas at all?

Any good? from Eurocarparts its only £15.30 delivered,

Euro Car Parts | The UK's Number 1 Provider of Car Parts Online and In Store

and the Magnatec £19.98 delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004JASFYU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I am planning an oil change soon- I have plenty Magnatec left for top ups etc around 3L I think. They are both 10 40 so should be ok to mix – it takes 45L with oil filter too I believe.
I am wondering apart from price would the Petronas be better for the engine?

It’s a 2001 147 Petrol T-Spark 85k on the clock.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/ opinions/ advice please?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Petronas if me. Don't think Magnatec us a true synthetic oil

I prefer Valvoline though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As you have been using Magnatec previously, I would stick with it. The Petronas may be perfectly OK, but is it worth taking the risk for the sake of 4 quid?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I don't think your magnatec is the same as we get here in SA - I will not touch that stuff again - I ran bearings using that stuff.

I run Edge synthetic 10W60 (we have warmer climate and I drive enthusiastically)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Probably very hard to tell without proper testing. Just stick to the usual oil if you are happy with it generally.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Nothing wrong with Petronas oil. Also you will need 4.4 litres not 45 litres as in your post.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
Out of the two I would have the Petronas.

My favorite oil brand though is Fuchs, but if I am buying oil on a budget I will use the Triple QX from Eurocarparts.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've heard royal purple is the good stuff?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello there just to be sure;

should I get a Fully or Semi Synthetic Oil?

Petronas 1000 or Petronas 800 EU?

I actually went for the 1000 back along and has been going very well indeed!

I need to get some more but just occurred to me is it best to use full or Semi please?

Thanks for advice in advance!!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hello there just to be sure;

should I get a Fully or Semi Synthetic Oil?

Petronas 1000 or Petronas 800 EU?

I actually went for the 1000 back along and has been going very well indeed!

I need to get some more but just occurred to me is it best to use full or Semi please?

Thanks for advice in advance!!
The Multi Air and TBi motors are sensitive to the oils you put in. The TS motor is neither highly strung, nor manufactured with very tight tolerances. A semi would be fine. Fully synthetic is usually better as it breaks down a bit slower in high strung / high temp environments. Keeping to a shorter service interval counts for more to keep the oil fresh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts