Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 quick questions, I understand that Alfa engines are thirsty and that I need to check the oil levels on my 2L JTS engine regularly. In the manual it recommends to use the Selenia racing, is this the case as I will then need to purchase some...

Also would standard 95Ron fuel be okay with this engine or are the 97Ron super fuels ie BP ultimate/Shell better to use?

Cheers for any advice

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Selenia Racing is recommended for the JTS engine.
If not, any comparable good brand will do, but make sure it is the same rating. 10/60 I think. Ideally check every 1000 miles or so until you get a feel for the usage as it does vary between engines and drivers.

Fuel is OK on normal unleaded (95). I can't see you'll get much benefit from Optimax (or whatever) but it's up to you if you want to try. Won't do it in any harm!
;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I started using Optimax, and now I can't go back. The engine runs noticeably smoother on it. The only other garage close to me is an Esso garage and their 97 wasn't so good. However their new Ultimate 97 is just as good as Optimax IMO.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
After trying and testing most 'Super' unleaded petrols around, I have found that Sainsbury's to be the best for my engine.

It's 97 ron but it makes the car run so much smoother, and I get a slightly better mpg from it as well. :)

I went from the Sainsbury's stuff to BP Ultimate a few weeks ago, and the car was kangarooing all over the place and didn't pull as well as it did previously.

Plus it's only 2p more per litre than standard 95 ron. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great cheers for the advice, guess I'll be ordering some Selenia Racing oil then, I'll try the BP Ultimate for a bit as the garage is near me and see how I get on :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't know what is specified for the JTS, but 10w/60 seems very thick for standard use. :rolleyes: I think this is what would be specified for very hard driving? The 60 rating is likely to hurt fuel consumption a little and I thought a 40 would do, but I really don't know about the JTS.

With regard to fuel, it depends on the engine mapping. The higher octane will produce more energy, but if the map is not best suited, it won't really make very much difference. The adaptive learning feature also ensures that no two people's experiences are the same. Make your own mind up!!

You could try filling it with optimax (98.6 RON), and then having a remap done to suit- you WOULD notice a difference! :cool: :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ally,

Selenia Racing (10w/60) is specified in the Owners Manual for the JTS engine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ally said:
With regard to fuel, it depends on the engine mapping. The higher octane will produce more energy
I don't want to kick this one off (for the millionth time!) but octane does not relate to the energy in petrol. It is it's resistance to detonation ;)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Very true
- the higher ron allows the engine to run at a higher compression ratio or hotter with out pre-ignition, thus allowing higher power outputs from an engine.
(Higher CR or temperature generally giving higher efficiency)

Presumably this is the cause of the confusion.

Regarding oil, does anyone have any hard facts as to why AGIP/Selenia are the 'best' oils to use, other than a recommendation due to possible manufacturer tie-up?

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Cheradnine said:
Regarding oil, does anyone have any hard facts as to why AGIP/Selenia are the 'best' oils to use, other than a recommendation due to possible manufacturer tie-up?
Made in Italy?
:confused: ;)

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Cheradnine said:

Selenia used to be known as Fiat Lubricanti, and therefore may still be owned by the Fiat group, although Im not 100% sure

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I think you may find that they still own it, if not it's made under licence and that's why they recommend it.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
oilman said:
A proper synthetic 10w-40 or 10w-50 will be fine for normal road use.
Can we just be careful here? I'm not doubting you know your stuff Oilman, but the 156 manuals changed in 2002 with the release of the 2.0JTS to say:

"For JTS versions use only SAE 10W60 synthetic oil. Recommended product: Selenia Racing".

Now obviously all car manufacturers recommend an oil brand they are tied up with, and users can ignore the recommendation at will, but in this case the instruction on the grade is quite specific!

As an aside, the Twin Spark engines (TS) have normal use grades of 10-40 and optional "decidedly sportive use" grades of 10-60.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Cheradnine said:
They sound cool and Selenia sounds very Italian. While your mates are all using Castrol or Shell Helix, you can say you use Selenia. And they'll all look at you as if to say "what an idiot, no wonder he bought an alfa". You, however, will know the truth, that you use an exclusive brand of oil.

·
Registered
355 Posts
noticed when i was playing with the computer on my 147 the other day if you go to the service menu it recommends 10-40 selena oil, it also tells you coolant, brake fluid and tyre pressures, quite a nice touch i thought

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Cheradnine said:
Selenia is now the recommended oil due to the company link, but prior to the Fiat takeover the recommended brands were usualy Agip, IP, and Shell.

Agip just sounds best! :cool:

Buck

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Buck Bundy said:
Selenia is now the recommended oil due to the company link, but prior to the Fiat takeover the recommended brands were usualy Agip, IP, and Shell.

Agip just sounds best! :cool:

Buck
and Agip has all the advertising stands at the Italian Grand Prix :)
On another point Advert for Shell Optimax was pulled from the TV as it was misleading.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts