Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered that the hose(from turbine to intercooler) is greasy.I cleaned that hose but after short time it is greasy again. I'm sure it's not an engine oil, because this is reddish and clear.
In this picture I marked where I find leaking. Under this pump find oil on thermostat hoses. Very very little,but I can see it is not engine oil and it is not coolant liquid. This oil have red/pink color I think it is servo oil.
Is this pump for servo or brake?
And what can cause that leak there?

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's weird I do not notice that I'm losing coolant. Coolant level is always the same in the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About this vakuum pump,is there any gasket between pump and engine body? I notice it is little oily aroun pump,on bottom. If I decide to fix that,any advice how and what to do?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, there's a gasket between the alloy body of the pump and the block, but that's unlikely to be the source of the leak. The steel cover can distort so the internal square-section O-ring seal to the pump body leaks. I replaced my vacuum pump because of this, and suddenly found I had better brakes than I thought. It also made turbo operation more linear. The vanes create vaccum by compressing and evacuating air, which blows out oil given the chance.

Run your finger underneath the bottom of the pump... If it's very oily, take off the pump (4 M5 or M6 bolts) and have a good look at the flange of the cap, where it seals against the body. Mine had a gap of a few thou' between the lower Torx bolts that hold the steel cover in place. I tried getting it flatter by violence but it didn't help.

Be careful buying used, because there are lots of similar looking pumps with slightly different outlets, eg Vauxhalls. New ones can be had ~£145 via eBay from Italia Ricambi.

EDIT: I probably caused this myself when I replaced the head, as I had to take the pump off to remove the cambox. I had a bit of trouble putting it back together, aligning the pump drive with the end of the cam. I only tweaked the bolts a little before realising it was misaligned, but the cover is a puny thing and started leaking a month or two later.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finger show there is oil,but I dont see leaking,it is more like oil deposit. Oil is located just around pump,max on bottom side.
If I undestund you,there is o-ring in the pump that can be a problem?
And are we talk about pump like this one from the photo?
And can u please show me photo of that o ring? If u can find on web.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The O-ring is a large square-section thing, between the steel cover and pump body. It fits in a channel in the body, clamped by the steel cover (4 Torx screws hold that in place). It's not a standard round-section O-ring, and I was unable to find a new replacement - though I didn't try very hard as my cover was visibly distorted when put on a flat plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
You could try cleaning it all up and using some oil resistant sealant,used it on a vw tandem pump in past for fuel leak from a similar type of seal and it worked fine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have that on mind. There is so many gasket sealant that can replace o ring. I think there is no need to buy new pump,just to clean and replace old sealant.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I have that on mind. There is so many gasket sealant that can replace o ring. I think there is no need to buy new pump,just to clean and replace old sealant.
I wouldn’t replace o ring but give it a good clean and use sealant on it,that’s what I did with the VW one as o ring sits in a recess so would need a lot of sealant

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can try this. Nice idea.
Anyway,when time comes to fit the pump back in place,this part of the pump that go's in camshaft end,is it ez to fit or I need some skills for that?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. I have on mind to opet this pump and clean on next oil change. I'm a little afraid that I do not spoil something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts