Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Oil low....but isn't?

5582 Views 23 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Georgew221
I noticed my oil level ignition warning was showing I was low on oil today (for the first time ever) so dipped it to see how low I was only to find it was spot on the max as it has been since my last oil change.

Is this a common problem because in my experience the oil level shows accurately?

159 1.9d Lusso SW by the way.

Thanks
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
So where does your replacement sensor go if the original part stays put where it is in the sump? I could imagine that maybe something bolted onto the sump wouldn’t be too far away from the oil inside it and that'd probably do the trick.
Rethreaded sump plugs with new temperature senders installed, although needs some conversion for the car to read the correct values to/from the new temperature sender :)

· Registered
425 Posts
Got me thinking of alternate ways of electronically measuring the oil level. I could imagine being able to detect the fluid level in a milk bottle quite accurately from the sound made when it was tapped but I’m not sure if tapping a sump would give a similar effect. In theory it’s doable I suppose.

· Registered
396 Posts
Got me thinking of alternate ways of electronically measuring the oil level. I could imagine being able to detect the fluid level in a milk bottle quite accurately from the sound made when it was tapped but I’m not sure if tapping a sump would give a similar effect. In theory it’s doable I suppose.
I've been trying to think of a method of doing it accurately but long-lasting. If the sump plug was vertical I could remake the PCB, but I haven't looked too much into it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.